The Hamilton Bulldogs will use this week to put things back in order after dropping two straight American Hockey League games at home. On Friday (Dec. 1) the Philadelphia Phantoms blanked the Bulldogs 6-0 and two nights earlier at Copps Coliseum, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins were 3-2 victors.
Hamilton won’t see any regular schedule play until Friday (Dec. 7) when the Binghamton Senators pay a visit to Copps for a 7.30 p.m. contest. The Senators are third in the Eastern Conference’s East Division with 25 points, six back of the leaders, Philadelphia.
The two setbacks leave the Bulldogs. last year’s Calder Cup champions, with a 7-9-0-3 record (17 points) and fourth in the Western Conference’s North Division, 12 points back of the front-running Toronto Marlies.
In the 6-0 shutout loss, Kyle Greentree (2), Jonathan Matsumoto, David Laliberte, Josh Beaulieu, and Alexandre Picard scored for Philadelphia. The Bulldogs were 0-for-7 on the power play while the Phantoms went 3-for-7 with the man advantage.
Hamilton Yann Danis turned aside 25 of 31 shots in a losing effort, while Philadelphia’s netminder Brian Boucher stopped all 28 shots.
Nathan Smith, Chris Minard, and Joe Jensen scored for the Penguins in their 3-2 win which snapped a three-game win streak for the Bulldogs. Greg Stewart, with his third of the season, and Cory Urquhart, with his fifth, replied for Hamilton.
The Bulldogs were 1-for-4 on the power play and a perfect 3-for-3 on the penalty kill.
‘Dogs goaltender Jaroslav Halak turned aside 21 of 24 shots while Pens netminder and former Bulldog Ty Conklin made 29 saves on 31 shots.
Philadelphia 6 Hamilton 0:
1. Jonathan Matsumoto-9 (Kyle Greentree, Darren Reid) – 7:33
2.David Laliberte-1 (Jared Ross, Boyd Kane) – 16:47 3. PHI – Josh Beaulieu-1 (Boyd Kane, Jared Ross) – 17:27
4. Alexandre Picard-5 (David Laliberte, Jared Ross) – 13:52 (pp)
5. Kyle Greentree-7 (Stefan Ruzicka, Jonathan Matsumoto) – 14:53 (pp)
6.Jared Ross-8 (Alexandre Picard, Stefan Ruzicka) – 17:27 (pp)
WBS 3 Hamilton 2
1. WBS – Nathan Smith-5 (Connor James, Deryk Engelland) – 4:08
2. HAM – Greg Stewart-3 (Andrew Archer, Jean Philippe-Cote) – 19:37
3. WBS – Chris Minard-6 (Ryan Stone, Ryan Lannon) – 2:24
4. HAM – Cory Urquhart-5 (Matt D’Agostini, Ryan O’Byrne) – 10:06 (pp)
5. WBS – Joe Jensen-1 (Jonathan Filewich, Tim Brent) – 15:14