The Hamilton Bulldogs’ three-game winning streak ended on Saturday night with a 7-3 loss to the Rochester Americans at Copps Coliseum. The loss drops the ‘Dogs record to 16-16-1-5 on the season.
Rochester took a 2-0 lead with two goals in the first period. Drew Larman opened the scoring with his third tally of the season at the 6:19 mark on the power play. The Americans struck again at 15:30 when Mark Mancari potted his ninth goal of the season.
Hamilton cut the lead in half just 1:34 into the second period when Kyle Chipchura beat netminder Tyler Plante. It was Chipchura’s first marker of the campaign since Montreal Canadiens of the National Hockey League sent him to their American Hockey League affiliate last week.
Rochester then scored four consecutive goals in the middle stanza to take a 6-1 lead. Dylan Hunter (2:11), Mike Weber (10:17), Marc-Andre Gragnani (11:00) and Marek Zagrapan (13) were the goal scorers for the Amerks. After the Gragnani goal at the 11:00 mark, Yann Danis replaced starting goaltender Carey Price between the pipes for the Bulldogs.
With just 20 seconds remaining in the second period, Greg Stewart notched his seventh goal of the season for the Bulldogs to make the score 6-2.
At the 6:13 mark of the third frame, Matt D’Agostini fired a slap shot past Plante for Hamilton’s final goal. The goal extended D’Agostini’s point streak to a career-high seven games.
The Amerks completed the scoring at 7:20 of the third period on Mancari’s second goal of the game.
Hamilton’s Price suffered the loss making eight saves on 13 shots before being replaced by Danis who made seven saves on nine shots. Rochester’s Plante made 26 saves on 29 shots to earn the victory.
The Bulldogs were 1-for-3 with the man advantage while the Amerks went 2-for-3 on the power play.
The Bulldogs return to action on Tuesday (Jan. 15) at 7:30 p.m. when they host the Peoria Rivermen at Copps Coliseum on Bill Sturrup Night. Tickets for all ‘Dogs home games are available at the Copps Coliseum Box Office, any Ticketmaster outlet, online at www.ticketmaster.ca, or through charge-by-phone at 905-527-7666. For more information or to purchase season tickets call 905-529-8500, e-mail email@example.com or visit www.hamiltonbulldogs.com.
1. ROC – Drew Larman-3 (Rob Globke, Marc-Andre Gragnani) – 6:19 (pp)
2. ROC – Mark Mancari-9 (Marc-Andre Gragnani) – 15:30
3. HAM – Kyle Chipchura-1 (Jonathan Ferland, Ajay Baines) – 1:34
4. ROC – Dylan Hunter-8 (Franklin MacDonald) – 2:11
5. ROC – Mike Weber-1 (David Brine) – 10:17
6. ROC – Marc-Andre Gragnani-4 (Marek Zagrapan) – 11:00
7. ROC – Marek Zagrapan-13 (Dylan Hunter, Mark Mancari) – 17:07 (pp)
8. HAM – Greg Stewart-7 (Mathieu Aubin, Kyle Chipchura) – 19:40 (pp)
9. HAM – Matt D’Agostini-10 (Corey Locke, Andrew Archer) – 6:13
10. ROC – Mark Mancari-10 (Marek Zagrapan, Marc-Andre Gragnani) – 7:20