Corey Locke had two goals and Cedrick Desjardins made 33 saves to earn his first-career American Hockey League win in the Hamilton Bulldogs 2-1 triumph over the Lake Erie Monsters on Saturday night at Copps Coliseum.
The win ended the ‘Dogs four-game home losing streak and improved the team’s record to 33-32-3-7.
After a scoreless opening period, Hamilton drew first blood just 18 seconds into the second frame when Locke snapped home his 24th goal of the season to give the Bulldogs a 1-0 lead.
Locke then notched a power-play marker four minutes later to complete Hamilton’s scoring.
At 7:08 of the final period, Hamilton’s Duncan Milroy was unsuccessful on a penalty.
Lake Erie got on the scoreboard at the 10:00 mark of the third stanza when Chris Stewart scored a breakaway goal. The unassisted goal was Stewart’s 24th of the season and rounded out the game’s scoring.
Between the pipes, Desjardins made 33 saves on 34 shots to earn the win for Hamilton, while Tyler Weiman stopped 30 of 32 shots in a losing effort for Lake Erie.
On special teams, the Bulldogs went 1-for-2 with the man-advantage and a perfect 3-for-3 on the penalty kill.
On Friday night Brett Engelhardt potted three goals for the Bulldogs but it wasn’t enough as the Monsters won 5-4 in a shootout at Quicken Loans Arena.
In addition to Engelhardt, Tom Fritsche and Janne Lahti scored for Hamilton.
Yann Danis made 21 saves on 25 shots for Hamilton.
The Bulldogs outshot the Monsters by 23 in the game, setting a season-high with 49 shots.
The ‘Dogs return to action today (Sunday, April 6) at 4 p.m. when they host the Grand Rapids Griffins at Copps.
Saturday’s scoring summary
1. HAM – Corey Locke-24 (Mathieu Biron, Brett Engelhardt) – 0:18
2. HAM – Corey Locke-25 (Jonathan Ferland, Marvin Degon) – 4:53 (pp)
3. LEM – Chris Stewart-24 (unassisted) – 10:00
Lake Erie: 9-14-11–34
Friday’s scoring summary
1. HAM – Brett Engelhardt-10 (Corey Locke, Pavel Valentenko) – 16:26
2. HAM – Brett Engelhardt-11 (Corey Locke, Jonathan Ferland) – 0:42
3. LEM – T.J. Hensick-11 (Jamie Lundmark) – 2:23
4. HAM – Brett Engelhardt-12 (Jonathan Ferland, Corey Locke) – 3:05
5. LEM – T.J. Hensick-12 (Jamie Lundmark) – 4:55
6. HAM – Tom Fritsche-2 (unassisted) – 19:59
7. LEM – Brad Richardson-11 (T.J. Hensick) – 14:29
8. HAM – Janne Lahti-9 (Mathieu Carle, Duncan Milroy) – 18:52
Brock Trotter – No
Corey Locke – Yes
Brett Engelhardt – No
Duncan Milroy – No
Eric Manlow – No
T.J. Hensick – Yes
Brad Richardson – Yes
Jamie Lundmark – No
Chris Stewart – No
Eric Healey – No