McCoys split pair of game against Vipers

The Dundas Real McCoy’s faced off against the league’s most penalized team, the Norwood Vipers, on Friday (Nov. 29). When all was said and done Dundas delighted their home-town fans with a 3-2 overtime win in the Major League Hockey game.

Dundas started quickly in the first period as Ryan Christie scored his ninth goal of the Senior AAA season at the 4:27 mark, with Mike Amodeo and Justin Davis drawing assists. But at the mid-way point, Norwood tied game on the power play.

The Vipers were true to their reputation and got into penalty trouble late in the period, giving Dundas a two-man advantage for almost two minutes but Norwood goalie Kevin Rainey kept the McCoys at bay.

In the second period, the McCoy’s had several chances to go ahead but Rainey was there to shut the door. Then with three minutes left in the period, Dundas’ Darrell Simich scored from Mark Jooris and Mike Kennedy. The Vipers, however, kept up the pressure and with three seconds left they tied the score.

The third period was back and forth. Dundas had a power play late in the period but Rainey made several good saves to keep the home team off the scoreboard. Real McCoys’ netminder Mike Minard was also strong in goal, keeping Dundas in the hunt. The game went into overtime and at the 3:23 mark hard working Amodeo scored from Jerry Galway and Davis to send the home crowd home happy.

The following day, the McCoys loaded up the bus for the return tilt with the Vipers. Only 11 skaters and the goalies were able to make the trip, the result of a couple of suspensions from the Friday game. Kennedy was out after his encounter with a linesman late in the game and Simich for being the instigator when he went to the defense of a teammate. Others were unavailable because of commitments.

For a while it looked like the McCoys were going to run away as they had a 4-1 lead at the end of the first period with two goals by Nick Smith and singles from Ryan Christie and Shawn Shewchuk. They increased the lead to 5-1 in the second with a shorthanded marker from Amodeo. To Norwood’s credit they did not quit and kept coming at the McCoys who were starting to look a little weary. The Vipers scored three unanswered goals before the end of the period to make it 4-3. In the third fatigue took over and Norwood scored two to make the final 6-5. Brett Leggat played an outstanding game in net for the McCoys.

The McCoys now are tied for third with Baltimore and are four points behind Norwood and five back of Whitby. Fortunately for Dundas they have games in hand with all teams as they head towards the halfway point of the schedule. The McCoys entertain the Brantford Blast Friday (Dec. 5) at 7:45 p.m. at the Grightmire Arena on Market Street and then travel to Orillia to play the Tundras the next night.