Real McCoys win two on the weekend

The Real McCoy’s were in tough Friday (Dec. 5) against Brantford, considering Dundas had lost to the Blast in their last two Major League Hockey meetings. So when Brantford struck first in the opening period, the outlook wasn’t promising.

After that goal, however, Dundas picked up play and it finally paid off with just 22 seconds left in the first period when captain Mike Kennedy scored, after being set up by Mark Jooris and Ryan Christie, to tie the game.

At the start of the second period, Dundas was killing a penalty and goalie Mike Minard made four, game-saving stops to keep the score at 1-1. With six minutes gone in the period McCoys’ Nick Smith and Brantford’s Jordan Skinner dropped the gloves and were ejected for their disagreement.

Minutes later Minard got tossed for fighting when he tangled with the Blast’s Cory Fulton. Minard took exception to Fulton’s blindsided check on Mike Aglor. Minard held his own against Fulton and pinned the Blast player to the ice. Brett Leggat replaced Minard in net as the second period ended at 1-1.

The physical play by both teams continued into the final 20 minute frame. Mike Kennedy added another goal, with assists going to Jooris and Jerry Galway to give Dundas a 2-1 lead at the 6:51 mark.

After the game, general manager Don Robertson spoke at the Hot Stove Lounge and reported on the status of Sean Hall, who suffered a broken collar bone the previous Friday night. Hall could be gone for the season.

The next afternoon the McCoys bused to Orillia/Coldwater to play the Tundras. The McCoys came away with an 8-4 victory after an all-around strong performance. Leggat got the start and had a strong game. The contest was tied 3-3 until the 9:26 mark of the second period when the floodgates opened and the McCoys pumped in four unanswered goals to make it 7-3. The two teams traded goals in the third finish off the scoring.

Mike Amodeo had another strong offensive night with three goals and two assists, single goals went to Sam Campbell, Will Wellman, Kennedy, Mike Kevaney and Shawn Shewchuk.

Don Robertson was interviewed after the game and said “This was a big weekend for us and having a semi full bench on the road helped as we start winning our games in hand. We play a top team this weekend (and) we still need to get better. The guys are working hard and the results are showing.

“We have a lot going this month, this Friday (Dec. 12) a portion of ticket sales goes to the Christmas Tree of Hope, our food drive in on for Food Share and Dec. 19 is our annual Teddy Bear toss. It’s a great time to be involved with the McCoys”.

After the weekend games, the McCoys are in third, two behind Norwood and three behind Whitby with two games in hand on each team.

The next home game is Friday, Dec. 12 when the McCoys will be taking on the Norwood/Peterborough Vipers. Game time is 7:45. The McCoys are on the road again Sunday with a return trip to Orillia for an 8 p.m. game.