Weekend wins good send-off for Bulldogs

There’s no place like home and it was perfect for the Hamilton Bulldogs on the weekend. Hamilton followed up Friday’s 3-2 overtime win against the Binghamton Senators with a 1-0 shutout of the Lake Erie Monsters on Sunday afternoon (Feb. 8) at Copps Coliseum. The dual American Hockey League victories come at a good time as the Bulldogs begin a five-game road trip starting Wednesday in Hershey.

On Sunday, the game’s lone goal, in front of 4,512 customers, came at 15:07 of the first frame. T.J. Kemp skated behind the net before sending a backhand pass to Brock Trotter, who beat Lake Erie goaltender Jason Bacashihua.

Marc Denis earned the shutout for Hamilton making 25 saves for his fourth goose egg of the season. It was the third consecutive home shutout against the Monsters this season as Lake Erie has not scored a goal at Copps since Oct. 31.

Bacashihua faced 24 Bulldogs shots.

On Friday, a crowd of 4,110 saw Yannick Weber score two goals, including the overtime winner, to lead the ‘Dogs to victory.

After a scoreless first period, Weber drew first blood on the power play to give the Bulldogs a 1-0 lead at 18:28 of the middle frame. A point shot bounced off the back glass and onto the stick of Ben Maxwell, who fired a shot towards the net. The shot was blocked in front of the net but Ryan White grabbed the loose puck before sending a pass to Weber who beat Binghamton goalie Martin Gerber. The goal was Weber’s 11th of the season, and he becomes the first Bulldogs’ defenceman to score 11 goals in one season. The goal was also his eighth power-play marker which ties him with Ron Hainsey for most power-play goals scored by a defenceman in one campaign.

The Bulldogs added their second goal at 7:35 of the final frame. Steve Gainey fed a pass to Trotter who in turn relayed the puck to Mathieu Carle, who beat.

Binghamton cut the lead to one at 16:02 of the third stanza with a power-play marker. Mattias Karlsson sent a pass to Ilya Zubov, who pulled away from the side boards and fired a shot which Danny Bois tipped past Hamilton goaltender Denis.

With four seconds remaining in the game, Greg Mauldin tied the game. Matt Carkner’s initial shot was stopped by Denis but Mauldin grabbed the rebound and banged the puck past Denis.

Weber added his second goal at 1:41 of the overtime period. He skated in from the blue line before receiving a pass from Yanick Lehoux. Weber backhanded a shot that beat Gerber.

Gerber faced 19 Hamilton shots’ while Denis was tested 32 times.