McCoys have chance to advance to senior hockey final

Dundas Real McCoys could wrap up their series with a win on Friday against the Baltimore Clippers. Dundas leads the best-of-seven John Ross Robertson Cup Ontario Hockey Association Senior AAA semifinal 3-1.

Gametime at the JL Grightmire Arena is 7:45 p.m.

Last Sunday night, the McCoys lost 6-5 to the Clippers at Baltimore. A win for Dundas tonight will advance the McCoys to the Major League Hockey championship round against either Whitby Dunlops or Norwood Vipers.

In Baltimore, Rob DeCiantis scored three times and set up two other scoring plays with Dave Lylyk and Mark Jooris adding singles.

“It wasn’t our best game of the series. The toughest game to win in any series is the one that eliminates a club for the season, so we expect the rest of these games will be very tough to win,” said Dundas general manager and co-coach Don Robertson.

“The Clippers came to play so give them full marks. Jooris and DeCiantis had a big third period once we hooked them up again. We’ll have to see if Friday the 13th can be lucky for us.”

Last Friday, Dundas took a commanding 3-0 series lead when they defeated Baltimore 7-5 at the Grightmire.

Baltimore got a quick start to the first period when they earned a weak goal against Mike Minard on a shot from centre ice by Baltimore’s Jordan Freeland. The McCoys responded with a goal of their own when Josh Vandenbreggen wristed a shot past Clippers’ goalie Derek Dolson.

At home on Friday, Dundas gave themselves a one-goal lead at 12:12 when Ryan Christie poked the puck pasted Dolson after a scramble in front of the Clippers net. The McCoys added to the lead, 3-1, when Tyler Pelton took a pass from behind the net from Mike Kennedy. As the period ended Baltimore closed the gap to 3-2 with a powerplay goal by Matt Kenny.

The second period started quickly as the Clippers tied the game on a powerplay goal by Chris Jones. At 13:47, the McCoys regained the lead with a goal by Dan Pitre, and added to it on a wicked wrister by Mike Amodeo.

With 39 seconds left in the period, Shawn Shewchuk poked the puck past Dolson to give Dundas a 6-3 cushion heading into the third. As the period closed, Baltimore lost a valuable key to their offence when Adam Van Dam was hit and landed awkwardly on his leg.

With less than five minutes to play, Baltimore cut the lead to 6-4 on a goal by Randy Uens. Baltimore got a two-man advantage courtesy of two penalties by Dundas only to have Jerry Galway score into the empty net to seal the victory. Uens added the final goal of the game for Baltimore.