‘Dogs don’t waste any time shooting up Moose

The Hamilton Bulldogs rebounded with a fury on Saturday night (March 14) drubbing the Manitoba Moose 5-1 in American Hockey League play. Twenty four hours earlier the ‘Dogs were 4-3 losers to the Moose on the same Copps Coliseum ice. On Friday night the Bulldogs lost with only seconds left in the game but last night after giving up the first score responded with five unanswered goals for the win.

Sergei Kostitsyn, with a goal and two assists, and Mike Glumac with a pair of goals, lead the Bulldogs in the win.

The Moose drew first blood at 11:53 of the opening frame. Mike Keane put the puck past Hamilton goaltender Marc Denis.
The ‘Dogs got on the scoreboard while on the power play at 15:01 of the period. Yannick Weber sent a pass to Kostitsyn, who shot from the point and beat Manitoba goalie Cory Schneider.

Glumac gave Hamilton a 2-1 lead 21 seconds into the second period. He received a pass from Brock Trotter before rifling a shot past the glove of Schneider. The goal was Glumac’s team-leading 25th of the season. While on a 5-on-3 power play Glumac scored his second goal of the game at 12:29. Kostitsyn passed to Weber, whose shot was tipped by Glumac and off the glove of Schneider.

The Bulldogs notched a shorthanded marker at 8:42 of the final frame to give them a 4-1 lead. J.T. Wyman stripped the puck off a Manitoba defender behind the net before circling to the front and jamming the puck between Schneider’s pads.

At 10:11, Ryan Russell added a goal. Kostitsyn and Russell skated in on a two-on-one where Kostitsyn elected to pass the puck to Russell, who one-timed a shot past Schneider.

Each goalie faced 31 shots.

On Friday night the Bulldogs almost pulled off a spectacular comeback. Trailing 3-1 with only 57 seconds left in the game, the ‘Dogs scored two goals with 23 seconds to tie the contest. But with only nine seconds left in the contest, the Moose scored to take the win.

The Hamilton Bulldogs were defeated by the Manitoba Moose 4-3 on Friday night in front of fans at Copps Coliseum. The Bulldogs scored two goals to tie the game 3-3 in the final minute of the game before Manitoba scored with nine seconds remaining to clinch the win.

Following a scoreless first period where both teams only registered five shots each, the Moose opened the game’s scoring at 1:05 of the middle stanza. Jason Krogh released a wrist shot from inside the right faceoff circle that beat Denis.

Hamilton evened the score at 16:10 of the second frame. Kostitsyn sent a cross-ice pass to Weber, who beat Schneider. Ben Maxwell also earned an assist on the goal.
The Moose regained the lead at 17:28 of the period when Keane scored.

Guillaume Despines added a power-play goal at 5:43 to increase Manitoba’s lead to 3-1. Hamilton native Josh Soars fired a shot on net that was stopped by Denis but Despines grabbed the rebound and scored.

The ‘Dogs then came to life. At 19:03 of the final period Kostitsyn passed to T.J. Kemp hammered a shot that was tipped past Schneider by Mike Glumac. Brock Trotter tied the game at 19:26. Glumac fed a pass to Trotter, who one-timed a shot past Schneider. Kyle Chipchura also earned an assist on the play.

With nine seconds remaining in the game the Moose’s Nathan McIver fired a shot that deflected off a Hamilton player and onto the stick of Krog who sent a cross-ice pass to Michael Grabner, who beat Denis.

For the two games 8,811 fans took in the action.

The Bulldogs begin a five-game road trip today (Sunday) with a game against the Rochester Americans at 6:05 p.m. Fans can listen to every ‘Dogs game on the flagship station of the Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Network, TALK 820.