McCoys taking control of senior hockey final

Dundas Real McCoys picked up where they left off the night before – well almost – and went on to capture the second game of their best-of-seven John Ross Robertson Cup senior hockey championship series 6-5 before 615 fans in Whitby’s Iroquois Arena last Saturday night (March 21).

The previous night against the Dunlops, the McCoys’ goalkeeper, Brett Leggat, was the story of the night making save after save to help Dundas to a 4-1 before a standing-room only crowd in JL Grightmire Arena. He made 34 saves including five big ones that could have turned the match in the other direction.

The McCoys lead the series 2-0 with game three in Grightmire Arena tonight (Friday) at 7:45 p.m., with game four back in Whitby tomorrow at 6:30 p.m.

In game two, Leggat was the difference in the third period, making a number of crucial saves worthy of highlight reels. His play was outstanding as Dundas played defensively for the final 30 minutes. The pace of the game had taken its toll and the club showed the affects of not having the scoring abilities of Mark Jooris, Shawn Maltby, and Justin Davis, and the checking of Mike Amodeo in the lineup.

Two of the Dunnies goals came because of the club aggressively crashing the net late in the final period. For Dundas, Rob DeCiantis scored twice and set up another scoring play with Tyler Pelton, Dan Pitre, Shawn Shewchuk, and Ryan Christie adding singles. Nick Smith and Christie had two assists apiece.

Tyler Gubler, David Silverstone, Ron Baker, Bob McQuat, and Chad Dunlop replied for Whitby.

“We played well in our rink and (Brett) Leggat showed why he has the League’s best goals against record. In Whitby, we played the style of hockey we need to in order to win on the road,” said general manager and co-coach Don Robertson.

Last Friday, in the first period the play went back and forth with both sides getting a number of good scoring chances. The McCoys were the first to strike when Smith buried a shot on Dunlops’ goalie Matt Balser on the power play.

It did not take long for Dundas to score again as Mike Kennedy put the puck into the empty net after Balser misplayed it behind his net putting a pass on Kennedy’s stick.

The story for the rest of the game was Leggat. He made countless saves to keep Whitby off the scoreboard, including game-saving stops by going cross-crease to tag the puck.

In the final frame, Smith scored for the second time on a power play giving Dundas a 3-0 lead. It took Whitby all game, but at 8:35 of the third, Garrett Winder beat Leggat on a delayed penalty.

The rest of the way if was all Leggat who made two more game-saving cross-crease pad saves to keep the Dunlops off the board. Christie put the game away when he scored into the empty net with three seconds to go in the contest.