Dundas is off to the national senior hockey tourney

Four-time Ontario Hockey Association and Ontario Hockey Federation champions Dundas Real McCoys are still haunted by those infamous 39 seconds. They highlight what could have been their entry into last April’s Allan Cup final in Brantford.

Last Saturday, they captured their second consecutive John Ross Robertson Senior AAA title with a come from behind 6-5 victory over the Dunlops in Iroquois Arena at Whitby. Dundas won the best of seven series in four straight games.

Mike Kennedy scored twice, including the game-winning goal. Tyler Pelton added two more, with Nick Smith and Shawn Maltby getting singles. Dave Silverstone, Ryan Toms, Chad Dunlop, and Shayne McCosh responded for Whitby.

The McCoys now advance to the 101st Allan Cup Tournament at Steinbach, Man., to play the host club as well as Thunder Bay, Lloydminster, and South East Prairie. The Pacific representative, which still has to be determined will round out the six-team field for the weeklong tournament.

This will be Dundas’s fourth trip to the Canadian Championship in nine seasons.

“When your goalies receive the first star in every game it tells a story about the series. Our checking line of Kennedy, Shawn Shewchuk and Pelton scored three goals in the comeback win (Saturday, March 28), which I’d say makes you deep in talent and hard to play against,” said Don Robertson, McCoys’ general manager and co-coach.

“They say that to win, your top players have to be at their best, and that happened as well. Overall, we did not have any injuries and were ready to go. The boys really wanted to go west, and finish what we did not get done last year, and that’s win the Allan Cup. Well we’ll see how that goes.”

Dundas trailed 3-0 during the first five minutes of play before clinching the game and the title against the Dunlops on the strength of four second-period goals in three minutes and 29 seconds for a 5-4 lead. Former Toronto Maple Leaf Kennedy scored the game-winner at 9:15 of the final frame.

Dundas captured the OHA Senior A crown in 1985 and the Intermediate B title in 1958. The Hamilton Tigers won 11 OHA Senior titles between 1919 and 1948. Only in 1919, did the Allan Cup come their way. Key elements of that team became part of the infamous National Hockey League Hamilton Tigers from 1919-20 to 1924-25.

Last Friday night, the McCoys took a commanding lead in the Robertson Cup Final with their win over Whitby in the JL Grightmire Arena before another packed house. A two-goal performance from Justin Davis helped lift the McCoys into a 3-0 series lead.

The match began quickly as Davis scored on a pass from Ryan Christie, just under five minutes into the game. Scott Young kept Dundas rolling when he blasted a slapshot past Dunnies goalkeeper Anthony Marshall for a 2-0 lead. Whitby responded quickly with a scoring play converted by Garrett Winder.

In the second period, Whitby tied the game at the 12:57 mark as Colin Baker scored. Maltby scored on a powerplay with 7:14 left in the frame on a pass from Mark Jooris for a 3-2 lead. Davis gave Dundas a 4-2 with his second goal of the night on a powerplay. With just over 11 minutes left to play, Whitby’s Jon Ross trimmed the McCoys lead to 4-3 when his shot got past Brett Leggat.

A late penalty for too many men on the ice made the game tense for Dundas as the Dunnies received a powerplay opportunity to tie the score while adding an extra skater with Whitby netminder Marshall sitting on the bench. As with the entire series, the Real McCoys shut down the Dunlops powerplay and did not concede a goal.