Real McCoys score double win on home ice

Ryan Christie brought the house down (Teddy Bears) with the first goal of game.  Dundas defeated Orillia 7-1.  (Photo: Karen Robillard)

Ryan Christie brought the house down (Teddy Bears) with the first goal of game. Dundas defeated Orillia 7-1. (Photo: Karen Robillard)

Christmas came early last Friday night (Dec. 18) with the annual Scotiabank Teddy Bear Toss in the Dundas JL Grightmire Arena when Dundas Real McCoys’ Ryan Christie connected on a powerplay with less than four minutes into the game. That goal would pave the way to a 7-1 Dundas win over Orillia in senior A Major League Hockey.

And that goal started an avalanche of stuffed animals to rain onto the ice.

“The Scotiabank Teddy Bear Toss was a huge success again this year and the food drive was by far our largest ever. We have the best fans in the country and we thank them,” said Dundas Real McCoys’ general manager Don Robertson. The stuffed bears were donated to City Kidz, a foundation that has helped inner city children in the Hamilton area for more than 15 years.

Dundas was not as fortunate 24 hours later, failing to win back-to-back games as the Whitby Dunlops doubled them up, 6-3, at Whitby. The Real McCoys take a break now with their next game against the same Dunlops on Friday, Jan. 8, at 7:45 p.m. in the JL Grightmire Arena.

Last Friday though the goals kept on coming for second place Dundas even though the Orillia Tundras tied the score 11 minutes into the first period on a goal from Ciro Naso. The McCoys responded with the game-winning goal by David McNab nine seconds later.

Dundas’ consummate shorthanded play continued to show success with the first two goals of the second period were with an Orillia player in the penalty box. Nick Smith and Mike Amodeo converted the plays.

The line of Christie, Smith, and Ryan Kuwabara continues to produce well for Dundas. The teammates combined for 11 points in the match, and captured all three stars of the game respectively.

The newest member of the Real McCoys, Jordan Foreman, got on the score sheet assisting on captain Mike Kennedy’s (Dundas’s fifth) goal of the game. The defenceman from Cambridge previously played for the Memorial Cup champion London Knights and the Niagara Icedogs of the Ontario Hockey League. Recently, he skated for the Alaska Aces of the East Coast Hockey League.

Foreman came ever so close to netting his first goal for the McCoys when he found himself beside Tundras’s netminder Alessandro LupoIgaor and roofed a shot that caught the corner of the crossbar and the goalpost to the left of Lupo, but it stayed out.

Dundas goalie Bryan Worosz got the victory stopping 22 of the 23 shots he faced. The Valley Town squad had 42 shots in the game.

The next night, league scoring leader Peter MacKellar opened the scoring for Whitby on a pass from the game’s first star, Ron Baker. MacKellar was awarded the second star of the game.

A shorthanded goal by Dan Pitre, and an even strength one by Christie gave Dundas the lead on the clubs only two shots in the period. JJ Martin managed the Real McCoys only powerplay marker when he opened the scoring in the second period. Whitby regained the lead scoring three unanswered goals in the period.

Dundas attempted a comeback in the third period with constant pressure, but to no avail. The Real McCoys outshot the Dunlops 42-29 for the game.

Dunlop goaltender Chad Ford stopped all 18 of the shots Dundas threw at him in the third. The Dunlops were able to extend their lead, scoring two goals on their only two shots in the period.