Glumac’s efforts go for naught in Bulldogs loss

Despite a two-goal effort from Mike Glumac the Hamilton Bulldogs were defeated 3-2 by the Manitoba Moose 3-2 on Tuesday evening (March 23). Evan Oberg’s third period marker sealed the ‘Dogs fate in the American Hockey League game.

Both teams were held off the scoreboard in the first period, as Hamilton goaltender Curtis Sanford and his Manitoba counterpart, Cory Schneider, made nine and eight saves respectively.

The Bulldogs opened the scoring at 5:39 of the second stanza. Alex Henry ripped a slap shot from the point that beat Schneider over the right shoulder but could not beat the goal post. However, Glumac, positioned in front of Schneider, grabbed the bouncing puck and batted it into the Manitoba net.

The Moose tied the game just 48 seconds later while on the power play. Oberg sent a pass to Brian Salcido, who then dished the puck to Marco Rosa. Rosa rifled a shot past Sanford.

Just 36 seconds following that goal, the ‘Dogs regained their one-goal lead at 7:03. Brock Trotter moved the puck up to Glumac, who skated into the Manitoba zone. Glumac dished the puck to David Desharnais, who then sent a quick pass back to Glumac. Glumac made a forehand-to-backhand deke before depositing the puck across the goal line.

Guillaume Desbiens tied the game 2-2 at 17:28 of the second frame. Lawrence Nycholat sent the puck to Rosa who proceeded to dish a pass to Desbiens. Desbiens then snapped a shot that trickled through the pads of Sanford and across the goal line.

Oberg gave the Moose their first lead of the game at 10:27 of the third period. After the Bulldogs failed to clear the puck out of their zone, Jordan Schroeder collected the puck before sending a pass to Yan Stastny. Stastny then moved the puck to Oberg, who was positioned at the point and released a shot that sailed through traffic and into the net for the winning goal.

With 6,909 onlookers the Bulldogs had a minor 26-25 edge in shots on net.

The Bulldogs meet the Moose for a rematch Wednesday night.