Once again it’s time to determine the Golden Horseshoe Athlete of the Year.
The committee which organizes the award is looking for the public’s help in finding the 2010 winner of the Bill Sturrup Trophy. The award was first given in 1995.
Nominations can be submitted by visiting The Hamilton Spectator website at www.thespec.com and click on Athlete of the Year. A nominee must meet the following criteria for consideration:
1. Candidates must be residents of Hamilton or Burlington.
2. They may be a professional or amateur athlete.
3. Candidates must have demonstrated superior athletic performances at the provincial, national or international level.
4. The athlete’s performance could be as an individual or as part of a team.
5. The award will be one award and may be won by a male or a female.
6. There is no age restriction.
Past winners include: Joanne Malar, swimming (1995, 1999, 2000), Clara Hughes, cycling (1996), Graham Hood, running (1997), Titus Channer, basketball (1998), Mark Oldershaw, canoeing (2001), Susan Palmer-Komar, road cycling (2002), Joe Stankevicius, rowing (2003), Jesse Lumsden, football (2004), Danny Syvret, hockey (2005), Shona Thorburn, basketball (2006), Alena Sharp, golf (2007), Chelsey Gotell, swimming (2008), and Ryan Ellis, hockey (2009).
The deadline for nominations is Dec. 31, 2010.
The award will be presented at the CYO’s annual Celebrity Dinner on Feb. 24.