Bulldogs burned by the Abbotsford Heat

The Hamilton Bulldogs were defeated by the Abbotsford Heat 3-2 on Friday night. Drew MacIntyre had 41 saves but it was not enough as Matt Keith scored the game-winning goal for Abbotsford with 45 seconds remaining in the game.

The Bulldogs opened the game’s scoring at 13:28 of the first frame. Mathieu Carle fired a shot towards the net from the right side boards. The puck bounced off the stick of Dustin Boyd and past Abbotsford starting goaltender Leland Irving. With the assist, Carle passes Andre Benoit to become the franchise leader in all-time points by a Bulldogs defenceman.

The Heat tied the game 1-1 at 14:36 of the opening stanza. John Negrin received the puck from Tyler Ruegsegger before blasting a shot on net. The shot was stopped by Hamilton starting goaltender Drew MacIntyre but the rebound was grabbed by John Armstrong, who whacked the puck past MacIntyre and into the net.

Jean-Philippe Lamoureux replaced Irving in the Abbotsford net to start the second period.

Carle gave the ‘Dogs a 2-1 lead at 4:06 of the middle frame while on the power play. Andreas Engqvist sent the puck to Carle, who was positioned at the point. Carle blasted a shot that sailed through traffic and past Lamoureux.

Abbotsford tied the game 2-2 at 18:51. Gaelan Patterson carried the puck into the Hamilton zone before dishing a pass to Chris Breen, who was skating towards the net. Breen snapped a shot that beat MacIntyre over the right shoulder.

The Heat took a 3-2 lead at 19:15 of the final frame. Matt Keith collected the puck behind the ‘Dogs net before skating to the front of the net and jamming the puck underneath the pads of MacIntyre and across the goal line.

The Bulldogs will continue their six-game road trip on Saturday, March 19th when they face the Heat for a rematch in Abbotsford at 10:00 p.m. All regular season Hamilton Bulldogs broadcasts on AM 820 CHAM will begin with a pre-game show 30 minutes prior to the scheduled start time.