Haworth Hat Trick Halts Hamilton FC Win Streak

Carl Haworth was gifted his third goal of the match, late in the second half, to secure three points for FC London on Friday night. Hamilton FC’s first Canada Day match saw them travel to London to play in front on an exuberant crowd of about 850. The atmosphere was great at the Cove Road Field as a good contingent of local fans included this match-up in their Canada Day celebrations.

It was FC London that would be the first to celebrate on the field as Haworth bagged his first of the night, finishing a nice through ball following a defensive turnover by HFC, 15 minutes into the game. Hamilton were not very sharp in the first half. They turned the ball over too frequently and were not able to establish any flow to their game. As a result FC London enjoyed most of the possession and created several very good scoring chances. Haworth, in particular, proved a handful all night long for the HFC defense. Despite the pressure they had to withstand in the first half, Hamilton managed to equalize when Rene Di Zorzi ran on to an Anthony Di Biase free kick and side footed a first time volley into the FC London net.

Haworth put the home team up 2-1 after 24 minutes, again converting a through ball following another HFC defensive turnover. The home team went to the dressing room at half time with a one goal lead.

Hamilton FC made a few changes at the interval which seemed to pay off as they were able to take the game to FC London during the early stages of the second half. The spell of pressure resulted in a couple of HFC corner kicks. Dominic Bell grabbed the equalizer on 56 minutes when he rose to head in an Andrew Barsalona corner kick. This seemed to steady Hamilton as they pressed on looking for the go-ahead goal. Aaron Boyd came close a couple of times, once with a header, once with a close range shot which went just wide.

As the game wore on, FC London looked more likely to grab the winner as they put the HFC defense under considerable pressure during the last 15 minutes of the game. The winner eventually came in the cruelest of fashions from an HFC perspective. A high clearance from the HFC backline saw the back four push up the field to clear the defensive zone. An HFC player settled under the dropping ball but his attempt to control it saw it bounce off his shin and fall straight to Carl Haworth, who had stayed up behind the HFC defense. Haworth, in 10 clear yards of space, took the ball in, calmly rounded Alex Mitchell, in the HFC net, and slotted into the empty net rounding out his hat trick on the evening. This was a very entertaining and exciting game with FC London full value for their victory.

Hamilton FC will look to reverse their fortunes on Sunday evening when they face the Michigan Bucks at 6pm at Brian Timmis Stadium.