Scott Steckly has made history in the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series.
Steckly became the first driver in the five-year history of the A&W Cruisin’ The Dub 300 to win multiple times at the Motoplex Speedway & Event Park in Vernon, BC after winning there a season ago. But it wasn’t easy.
Steckly held off the pack in a 10-lap sprint to the finish to claim his 10th career victory on the tour and first since the season opener at Mosport Speedway in May.
Defending series champion D.J. Kennington, who led a race-high 135 laps, followed a close second with Kerry Micks third. Ron Beauchamp Jr. and Mark Dilley completed the top five in the 300-lap event – the longest of the season for the Canadian competitors.
Hamilton’s Don Thomson Jr., led the next group in sixth with Pete Shepherd III seventh and JR Fitzpatrick eighth. Nathan Weenk and Jim White completed the top 10.
The race was slowed 12 times by caution with the final yellow given to the field after Sara Cornett-Ching, making her series debut, spun in Turn 3 to set up the final dash to the finish. The race lead exchanged hands eight times among three drivers.
In the point standings, Steckly increased his lead on Kennington to 97 points after bringing a 92-point advantage into the night. Fitzpatrick remains in third followed by Thomson and Micks.
The A&W Cruisin’ The Dub 300 will be telecast on TSN at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, July 30.
The NASCAR Canadian Tire Series is right back on the track for the Velocity Prairie Thunder on Wednesday, July 27 at Auto Clearing Motor Speedway in Saskatoon, Sask.
NASCAR CANADIAN TIRE SERIES-A&W Cruisin’ The Dub 300 UNOFFICIAL Results
At Motoplex Speedway
Lap length: 0.5 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (1) Scott Steckly, Milverton, Ont., Dodge, 300 laps, 64.694 mph.
2. (2) D.J. Kennington, St. Thomas, Ont., Dodge, 300.
3. (8) Kerry Micks, Mt. Albert, Ont., Ford, 300.
4. (13) Ron Beauchamp, Jr., Windsor, Ont., Dodge, 300.
5. (10) Mark Dilley, Barrie, Ont., Dodge, 300.
6. (4) Don Thomson, Jr., Hamilton, Ont., Dodge, 300.
7. (6) Pete Shepherd, III, Brampton, Ont., Dodge, 300.
8. (3) J.R. Fitzpatrick, Ayr, Ont., Chevrolet, 300.
9. (7) Nathan Weenk, Lethbridge, Alberta, Chevrolet, 300.
10. (5) Jim White, Kamloops, B.C., Chevrolet, 300.
11. (9) Jason White, Sun Peaks, B.C., Dodge, 300.
12. (14) James Van Domselaar, Ft. Saskatchewan, Alta., Chevrolet, 296.
13. (17) Pierre Bourque, Ottawa, Ont., Dodge, 296.
14. (19) Sarah Cornett-Ching, Penticton, B.C., Chevrolet, 292.
15. (12) Trevor Seibert, Williams Lake, B.C., Dodge, 267.
16. (15) Dexter Stacey, Kahnawake, Que., Dodge, 261.
17. (21) Noel Dowler, Sherwood Park, Alta., Dodge, 239.
18. (11) Jason Hathaway, Appin, Ont., Dodge, 231.
19. (18) Isabelle Tremblay, St. Hippolyte, Que., Ford, 204, accident.
20. (16) Jarrad Whissell, Calgary, Alta., Chevrolet, 9, accident.
21. (20) Shannon Harding, Sackville, N.B., Chevrolet, 8, accident.
Time of Race: 2 hours 19 minutes 7 seconds
Margin of Victory: .702 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: S.Steckly (98.447 mph, 18.284 seconds)
Caution Flags: 12 for 92 laps.
Lead Changes: 8 among 3 drivers.
Lap Leaders: D. Kennington 1-130; S. Steckly 131; P. Shepherd,III 132; D. Kennington 133-137; S. Steckly 138-158; P. Shepherd,III 159-179; S. Steckly 180; P. Shepherd,III 181-203; S. Steckly 204-300.
Standings: 1. S. Steckly, 1050; 2. D. Kennington, 953; 3. J. Fitzpatrick, 895; 4. D. Thomson,Jr., 892; 5. K. Micks, 834; 6. R. Beauchamp,Jr., 805; 7. M. Dilley, 802; 8. J. White, 759; 9. J. Hathaway, 722; 10. D. Stacey, 715.