Cards sample own medicine in semi-final loss

The Hamilton Bantam Cardinals breezed through round robin play of the recent Whitby tournament, outscoring their opponents in three games 28-2. They should have saved some of that offence for the semi-finals when the met North Toronto and were eliminated from further play after losing 11-1.

In the Cards opening game, a 10-0 route of North London, Hamilton needed just five innings to finish the game. The Cardinals played flawless defence and came to the diamond to hit – recording 11 in the game.

Tyler Hamilton went 2-for-3 at the plate including a double and one RBI. Tim McPhee also went 2-for-3. Ken Coleman was 1-for-3 and came up big with a double that scored two runs. Brendan Watson also recorded an RBI and went 2-for-4.

Ken Coleman impressed with his solid pitching performance – only allowing two hits and striking out four London batters in four innings. Slater Frith recorded the win, coming into the game to pitch in the fifth inning. Slater allowed no hits, no walks and struck out two batters.

Hamilton brought much of the same effort to the diamond resulting in another one-sided affair, winning easily, 8-0, against Whitby. This game was called by curfew after six innings. The Cardinals’ bats were too much for Whitby, which was out-hit them 15-1. Noah Skirrow was perfect at the plate going 4-for-4 including a double and two runs-batted-in. Joseph McLeod also had a good game at bat going 3-for-4, including a double and four RBI.

A defensive highlight was the double play by short stop Coleman in the top of the fourth inning.

Colin Harold and Jordan McNeil shared the game on the mound limiting Whitby to a single hit in six innings. They each pitched 3 innings, striking out three each.

The Cardinals continued their winning streak into the third game of the tournament with an impressive 10-2 victory over Royal York, guaranteeing a spot in the semi-final game.

The Cardinals out hit their opponents by a slim 6-5 margin but the difference came down to pitching. The Royal York pitcher’s walked 10 batters and the Cards’ base runners capitalized with eight steals in five innings. McLeod led the team with three. Coleman, Alex Michalak, Frith, McPhee and Paul Wagner each recorded a stolen base.

Skirrow came out strong at the plate in the first inning with a two run double. The Cardinals scored five in the opening inning and never looked back. Brendan Watson cashed in another, Skirrow also stood out defensively making a double play on a line shot to first base.

Watson got the win on the mound coming in as the relief pitcher in the third inning. He shut out the opposition, allowing two hits, no runs, no walks with one strikeout. Michalak started the game, pitching the first two innings. He surrendered two runs on three hits, two walks, two errors and struck out two.

The Cardinals ran out of steam in the semi-final, losing 11-1 to North Toronto and a team they had beaten in another tournament.

North Toronto came out strong in the first inning – scoring five runs – and the Cardinals couldn’t recover. The bats went quiet and the defence matched the offensive drought. They made nine errors and only had one hit (Michalak who went 1-for-2). Starting Cardinals pitcher Jordan McNeil allowed eight runs on six walks and three hits, compounded by five errors In three innings pitched. He had one strikeout. Tiernan Caulfield pitched the final two innings, giving up two runs on two hits, two walks while striking out two.