McCoys force league leaders to OT

Jason McAuley’s second goal of the game gave Whitby Dunlops a 6-5 overtime victory over Dundas Real McCoys in Allan Cup Hockey League action Friday (Nov. 18) in the JL Grightmire Arena.

First place Whitby remained unbeaten after 11 games even though the McCoys gave them a scare forcing the Dunlops into overtime for the first time this season. Dundas dropped into fifth with a won-lost record of 1-4-2-2 but a couple of wins could vault Dundas into third place.

Friday (Nov. 25), the Real McCoys will play second place Brantford Blast at the Grightmire. Game time is 7:45 p.m.

“Our games have been very entertaining this year, but we can’t win for losing,” said general manager Don Robertson. “What can I say? Matt Smith, Justin Davis, and Omar Ennaffati made a nice contribution, but having Darren Smith and Cam Watson away in the U.S. didn’t help us. We expect to have them all this Friday.

“One thing that I can’t stress enough is that the only thing that isn’t changing is the coaches who have taken us to four straight National Championship tournaments,” said Robertson.

In addition to McAuley’s goals, Colin Baker, Andrew Gibbons, Garett Winder, and Shane Terry notched singles. Terry netted the tying goal with 27 second left to play in regulation time.

Mike Amodeo and Smith scored twice each for the McCoys with single goals by Brad Kenny and Adam Schwark. Schwark is seventh in league scoring with four goals and 11 assists for 15 points in nine games.

Three times late in the opening period, Dundas missed great scoring opportunities by Amodeo, Smith, and Ryan Christie. Jeff Maund turned in one of the finest saves of the night when he shut the door on Whitby’s Peter MacKellar with 30 second to go in a powerplay.

In the middle period, Kenney tied the score at 3-3 with after taking a pass form Adam Schwark at 13:43. Three minutes later, Schwark rifled a shot at the Whitby net which goalie Joel Whitmarsh stopped, but Amodeo pounced on the ensuing rebound and batted the puck into the net.

At 1:25 of the third, Whitby’s Winder tied the score at 4-4 only to have Dundas go ahead at 8:06 as Smith, on a wrist shot, converted at long pass through the centre ice area from Christie. Terry forced the overtime with a shot that caught the inside of the far goalpost on Maund.