Real McCoys take two from league leading Dunlops

Dundas Real McCoys stretched their winning streak on home ice to seven games when they edged the Whitby Dunlops, 6-5, in Allan Cup Hockey action on Friday (Feb 10) at the JL Grightmire Arena. The following night, they downed the Dunnies 5-2 in a rematch in Whitby and ran their home and away streak to seven games as well.

Since its streak of success began on Friday, Dec.2 with a 9-6 win over the Norwood Vipers the club has only lost twice in its last 14 games and once in its last 11.

“Our goaltending was the key to both games on the weekend,” said coach Ken Mann. “They gave us the chance to win both games, (Jeff) Maund last Friday and (Bryan) Worosz last Saturday. They were great, which always makes us a better hockey club.”

Dundas holds second place in the standings with 13 wins, five losses, three overtime losses and three shootout losses. Whitby leads the pack with 18 wins and seven losses. Third place goes to Brantford with a record of 14-10-0-1.

The McCoys have four games left in their regular season schedule. They are hosts to Norwood on Friday (Feb. 17) at 7:45 p.m. in the Grightmire and Sunday (Feb. 19), they play a matinee game against the Blast in the Brantford Community Centre at 2 p.m.

The McCoys season winds up the following weekend, when they host the Blast on Feb. 24 in the Grightmire Arena at 7:45 p.m. before heading to Norwood’s Asphode-Norwood Arena to play the Vipers on Sunday, Feb. 26 at 7 p.m.

Scoring for the Real McCoys last Friday were Scott Mifsud with two goals, and single goals by TJ Sakaluk, Mike Amodeo, Brad Jackson, and Darryl Smith. Omar Ennaffati assisted on three scoring plays. Jon Ross, Dan Torres, Adam Van Dam, Terry Shane, and Chuck MacLennan replied for Whitby in a game that degenerated into a series of scuffles and verbal epithets toward the officials by members of the Whitby bench staff.

Maund was particularly strong early in the third period as he turned aside three successive Whitby scoring drives before Van Dam connected on a powerplay at 6:04. MacLennan pulled the Dunlops within a goal of the lead when he drilled a shot off the left goalpost at 12:31 before the penalty parade began.

Saturday night at Whitby, the two clubs traded goals in each of the first two periods before Dundas added three uncontested goals in the final 20 minutes. Ryan Christie and TJ Sakaluk scored twice each with Justin Davis adding the other. For the second consecutive game, league-scoring leader Cam Watson was held pointless, but while the Dunlops kept him off the score sheet, they could not do the same with the rest of the club. Steve Birch and Jason McAuley replied for Whitby.