McCoys beach Whalers in Allan Cup Hockey

DUNDAS – An army of green men proved no match for the Dundas Real McCoys as the Valley Town crew skated to a 6-4 victory over the Welland Whalers at the JL Grightmire Arena. The win moved Dundas into second place in Allan Cup Hockey standings.

Jeff Zatorski attempts to tie up Dundas captain Ryan Christie in front of the Welland net, but it was only a stopgap measure. The McCoys went on to post a 6-4 win over the Whalers in Allan Cup Hockey action last Friday in Dundas. (Photo: Richard Zazulak)

In other Friday (Nov. 2) action, Brantford Blast defeated the Sunrise Toyota Tundra, 7-2, at Orillia. On Saturday, Brantford edged the Dunlops, 5-4, in Whitby’s Iroquois Park Sports Complex while Orillia handed the Whalers their fifth consecutive defeat winning 5-3 at Welland.

The Blast, with the victories, holds first place with four wins and no losses, while Dundas is second with a 3-2 record. Whitby and Orillia hold third and fourth with records of 2-1 and 2-3. Welland is winless in five games.

The Real McCoys are hosts to Orillia at 7:45 p.m. in Grightmire Arena on Friday (Nov.9). In other action that night, Whitby Dunlops play at Brantford at 7:30 p.m., and then host the Whalers Saturday night in the Iroquois Sports Complex at 6:30 p.m.

“Both teams played well (last) Friday, and that was entertaining for the fans. The guys enjoyed the big crowd, and that made it fun,” said Dundas coach Ron Bernacci.

“We are still working out some of the kinks, however, we are improving. We played better defensively as a team in this game, but it’s a work in progress.”

Cam Watson scored twice, including a second period penalty shot. Nick Smith and Ryan Christie added a goal apiece for Dundas. They both picked up a pair of assists in the game. Bryant Doerrsam scored twice for Welland with Drew Minor and Dan Marwick adding singles.

Marwick opened the scoring for Welland five minutes into the game only to have Smith tie it a minute later. Minor restored Welland’s lead at 8:07.

The wind was taken out of the Whalers sails when Watson netted his first of two goals on a penalty shot at 7:31 of the middle period. Seven minutes later he added another to give Dundas a 4-2 lead. Doerrsam, with a powerplay goal, drew Welland to within one.

In the third, Christie struck for two powerplay goals with Smith adding the final McCoys marker. Marwick’s powerplay goal completed the Whalers scoring.