Soccer Marauders end season with a win

Quebec City – The McMaster Marauders completed the Canadian Interuniversity Sport men’s soccer championship on a good note Saturday (Nov. 10) with a 1-0 win over Ontario University Athletics rival Carleton Ravens in the fifth-place match at TELUS-Université Laval Stadium.

Photo: Yan Doublet (via McMaster Communications)

The OUA champions defeated Carleton for the second time in a week after crushing them 5-0 six days ago in the conference championship game. The Ravens, who were playing in the national tournament for the first time since 2008, finish in sixth position.

McMaster head coach Dino Perri was satisfied to conclude the weekend on a good note. “It’s nice to finish with two wins, even if it’s not at the right time in the tournament. But, regardless, it was a good season and we are very happy to end it the way we did,” he said.

Carleton sideline boss Sandy Mackie was disappointed after losing such a tight game. “I thought it was a good game, but it was a silly goal, one of our best players all year, and one of our best players in this tournament, his feet got tangled and they dig in the chance. We had a couple of chances but we didn’t take them,” he analyzed.

Physical play dominated in the first half. There was considerable contact on both side resulting in many fouls and yellow cards. A total of 16 fouls were called and the referee booked three Carleton players and one McMaster athlete.

The match mainly took place at center field, and the Marauders had the only shot on net after 45 minutes. The OUA champions had the best chance of the half when, in the added time, Mark Reilly crossed a nice ball right in front of the Ravens’ goal. No one could push it in the back of the net though, and after the first frame, it was still tied 0-0.

Both teams showed more bite on offence in the second half. At the 57-minute mark, Karl Bicamumpaka (Orléans) got around a Carleton defender with a nice move before taking a shot that flew past keeper Mark Krocko to make it 1-0 Marauders.

Rough play was still a constant part of the second half with a total of 14 fouls.