Eight different Bulldogs had two-point nights as Hamilton beat the visiting Toronto Marlies, 6-3, in American Hockey League play on Friday (Nov. 16).
Alexander Avtsin scored in his debut with the Bulldogs to the delight of a crowd of 8,034 at Copps Coliseum.
The Marlies opened the scoring at 8:53 of the opening frame on a powerplay goal by Matt Frattin. After picking up the puck from Spencer Abbott, Frattin wired a wrister from the left circle over the shoulder of goaltender Cedrick Desjardins, who was making his 2012-13 debut as was Frattin.
The Bulldogs tied the score on a tally by Morgan Ellis less than four minutes later on a delayed penalty. Ellis received the puck at the point and rifled a slapper past goaltender Ben Scrivens. The goal was the first of Ellis’ professional career.
Hamilton took the lead on Avtsin’s counter at 16:21. Joe Stejskal’s point shot was stopped by Scrivens but the rebound came out to the top of the crease where Avtsin chipped the puck behind the netminder. With an assist on the play, Stejskal earned his first point of the season.
Hamilton doubled the lead with 33 seconds left in the first period while on a powerplay. Brendan Gallagher relayed a pass from Michael Bournival into the net.
The Marlies cut the lead to one at 12:23 of the second stanza on Frattin’s second goal of the night. Nazem Kadri blasted a shot from the right point which was tipped by Frattin.
Toronto tied the game at 6:28 of the third period. Simon Gysbers’ point shot was redirected by Jerry D’Amigo in front and over Desjardins.
Hamilton regained the lead at 10:05 of the third stanza on a tally by Joonas Nattinen. Avtsin put the puck on Scrivens from the left side and Nattinen was stationed at the top of the crease and jammed in the rebound.
Aaron Palushaj snapped a wrister from the right circle past Scrivens at 10:39 of the third period to put the ‘Dogs up by two. Gallagher sealed the game by adding an empty netter at 18:20 of the third for his second goal of the night.
Hamilton had 29 shots on goal while Toronto had 26.
The two teams play on Saturday (Nov. 17) at Ricoh Coliseum in Toronto.
1. TOR – Matt Frattin (1) – (Spencer Abbott, Mike Kostka) – 8:53 (PP)
2. HAM – Morgan Ellis (1) – (Frederic St-Denis, Aaron Palushaj) – 12:08
3. HAM – Alexander Avtsin (1) – (Darryl Boyce, Joe Stejskal) – 16:21
4. HAM – Brendan Gallagher (4) – (Michael Bournival, Frederic St-Denis) – 19:27 (PP)
5. TOR – Matt Frattin (2) – (Nazem Kadri, Mark Fraser) – 12:23
6. TOR – Jerry D’Amigo (2) – (Simon Gysbers, Nazem Kadri) – 6:28
7. HAM – Joonas Nattinen (2) – (Alexander Avtsin, Darryl Boyce) – 10:05
8. HAM – Aaron Palushaj (4) – (Morgan Ellis, Michael Bournival) – 10:39
9. HAM – Brendan Gallagher (5) – (Gabriel Dumont, Joe Stejskal) – 18:20 (EN)