Toronto – Two goals and an assist from Keith Aucoin lifted the Toronto Marlies to a 6-1 American Hockey League win over the Hamilton Bulldogs on Saturday (Nov. 17).
Playing at the Ricoh Coliseum, the Marlies opened the scoring at 4:15 of the opening frame on a powerplay goal by Leo Komarov. Toronto doubled the count a goal by Mark Fraser at 12:50 of the first period. Ryan Hamilton picked up the puck in the right corner and threw it in front to Fraser who tipped the puck up and over the left shoulder of goaltender Robert Mayer.
Thirteen seconds later the Marlies were up 3-0 when Nicolas Deschamps scored from the right faceoff circle.
With 28 seconds to play in the first period, Aucoin’s powerplay marker gave the Marlies a four goal lead. Nazem Kadri slid the puck to Aucoin in the left corner and he relayed it to the slot but it was redirected behind Mayer.
The Marlies fifth unanswered goal, and Aucoin’s second, came at 14:51 of the second stanza. Komarov passed the puck from the left boards to Kadri behind the net and he feathered the puck to Aucoin in the slot.
The Bulldogs finally got on the scoreboard at 2:08 of the third period on a shorthanded goal by Aaron Palushaj. He wired a wrister from the left circle past goaltender Ben Scrivens.
Mike Kostka scored the sixth goal for the Marlies on the powerplay at 4:03 of the final frame. Toronto finished with 25 shots on goal while Hamilton finished with 17.
The Bulldogs’ next game is Tuesday (Nov. 20) in St. John’s against the IceCaps.
1. TOR – Leo Komarov (6) – (Jake Gardiner, Nazem Kadri) – 4:15 (PP)
2. TOR – Mark Fraser (1) – (Ryan Hamilton, Greg Scott) – 12:50
3. TOR – Nicolas Deschamps (3) – 13:03
4. TOR – Keith Aucoin (2) – (Nazem Kadri, Jake Gardiner) – 19:32 (PP)
5. TOR – Keith Aucoin (3) – (Nazem Kadri, Leo Komarov) – 14:51
6. HAM – Aaron Palushaj (5) – 2:08 (SH)
7. TOR – Mike Kostka (3) – (Nazem Kadri, Keith Aucoin) – 4:03 (PP)