Next McCoys game will be a Blast

DUNDAS – Four second period goals carried the Dunlops to a 4-2 victory over Dundas and ended the Real McCoys five-game winning streak in Allan Cup Hockey action last Saturday (Nov. 17) in Whitby’s Iroquois Sports Complex.

The same night the Branford Blast edged the Whalers, 4-3, at Welland to take a four-point lead in the standings on the second-place McCoys. The previous night, the McCoys overcame a Whitby lead to defeat the Dunlops, 6-5, in overtime in the JL Grightmire Arena.

The win enabled Dundas to keep pace with the Blast, which defeated the Orillia Sunrise Toyota Tundras, 9-4, at Brantford the same night.

This Friday (Nov. 23), the Real McCoys engage the Blast in the Brantford Community Centre at 7:30 p.m. with the objective of gaining two points on the Telephone City crew.

“Whitby gave up a 3-1 lead in our rink (last Friday), and we grabbed two points in overtime. It was a great effort by our guys on home ice. It’s always nice to beat them anywhere,” said coach Ron Bernacci.

“Saturday night we had some injuries from the Friday night game, and guys away on holidays, so we were short. However, we battled hard and just came up a bit short.”

Friday night was a night for stars as Ontario Hockey Association Senior AAA October Player of the Month, Nick Smith (eight points in two games) potted the game winner 1:16 into overtime to lift the McCoys past the Dunlops. Smith was named the game’s first star with the oldest man on the rink, Mark Jooris, getting the second star vote for his three-point night (one goal and two assists). Whitby’s Shane Terry was the third star after a two-goal effort.

Terry tied the score at 5-5 on a set up by Kyle Musselman at 12:38 of the final period, but the Dunlops could get no closer to a win. Whitby’s other goals went to Jason McAuley (powerplay), Adam Van Dam, and Darren Doherty.

In addition to Smith, the McCoys got single goals from Dave Cianfrini, Jooris (powerplay), Justin Davis (powerplay), Scott Stafford, and Brad Kenny.

The following night at Whitby was a different story for Dundas as its five-game winning streak came to an end. Peter MacKellar scored the first two goals of the game for the Dunlops in the opening 10 minutes of the second period and set up their fourth goal of the middle period, and the game at 12:05. Darren Doherty and Garett Winder completed the Dunlops scoring.

Scott Charbonneau replied for Dundas with a goal and an assist with Stafford adding his second goal of the weekend midway through the final period.