Dundas acquire forward power after loss to Blast

165px-Dundas_Real_McCoysThe winds of change have blown through Hockeyville after Brantford’s Greg Bullock scored twice to lead the Blast to a 6-3 win over the Dundas Real McCoys in Allan Cup hockey action on Friday, December 21 in the JL Grightmire Arena.

The McCoys play at home again Friday (December 28) when they play the Whitby Dunlops at 7:45 p.m. and do not hit the ice again until Friday, January 4 when they play the Orillia Sunrise Toyota Tundras at 7:45 p.m. in the West Orillia Sports Complex.

“The score may not have shown it, but that game against Brantford (December 21) was clearly the most entertaining game in Hockeyville this season. Brantford is he real deal this year,” said Don Robertson, Dundas President and General Manager

“This Friday, will also be a dandy with the Dunlops in town, and since we have traded the rights to David Volpe to Whitby for Dan Torres, who provided them with spark last season. Friday night, we will see how it all unfolds.”

Following the loss to Brantford, Robertson knew something had to be done. Robertson and Whitby General Manager, Mike Posavad put their heads together and arrived at a deal that sent Torres to Dundas for Volpe. The six-foot, 195 pound Torres is from Toronto as is Volpe. The 26-year-old forward had played five games this season for the Dunlops. During the past two seasons, he had 15 goals and 26 assists for 41 points in 34 games. In 2011-12, he was one of the club’s top point-getters with 23 points and led the team in penalty minutes with 97. In the playoffs, he was in the top five in team scoring; however, he has not played since November 11.

Volpe, a 26-year-old forward has not played in the ACH since last season. In 2011-12, the six-foot, 195-pound Toronto native had six goals and 18 assists in 22 regular season games, and added three more points in eight playoff games.

Brantford currently holds first place in the ACH with 12 wins and one defeat in 13 games. Third place Dundas has a won-lost record of 7-7. Whitby is second with eight wins and four losses.

Brantford Blast goalkeeper Brett Leggat waves at the disk as he watches Ryan Christie’s shot catch the upper corner of the net. Christie’s goal pulled the Real McCoys within a goal of the lead (3-2), but they could not get any closer. (Photo: Richard Zazulak)

In addition to Bullock, the Blast got goals from Chad Spurr (shorthanded), Mike Roberto, Ryan Healy (powerplay), and Cam Sault. Darryl Smith, Ryan Christie, and Nick Smith replied for the Real McCoys.

Following a goalless end-to-end first period, the McCoys defence was caught flat-footed as Spurr broke up a play and raced down the ice to score a shorthanded goal at 1:03 of the middle period. Seven minutes later Darryl Smith tied the score only to have Mike Roberto put the Blast back in front with four minutes to go in the period when he deflected a shot from the point.

Healy added a Brantford powerplay goal at 17:36. Christie replied less than a minute later only to have Bullock supply a heartbreaker to the McCoys off the crossbar with 12.2 seconds remaining. In the third, Sault and Bullock (his second) scored in the first eight minutes of play.

Christie was robbed of an opportunity by hooking penalty by Joel Prpic at 8:26, and Brad Jackson missed the open net with 9:46 left to play. Nick Smith got Dundas on the board again on a two-man advantage at 13:07 before time ran out on Dundas.