Rochester, N.Y.– Equalling or establishing a club record isn’t always such a good thing and the Hamilton Bulldogs 6-3 matinee loss on Monday (Jan. 21) is a case in point.
In dropping the American Hockey League contest to the Rochester Americans, the Bulldogs tied a franchise record by losing their tenth straight game on the road.
Kevin Porter and Rick Schofield each had a goal and an assist to pace the Amerks in the North Division affair.
Hamilton fell behind 3-0 before the opening period was six minutes old but by the 24 second mark of the second period, the Bulldogs had evened the count. Rochester, however, scored the next group of three goals to take the game.
It took the hosts just 13 seconds to open the scoring. Kevin Sundher slid the puck under Bulldogs’ goaltender Robert Mayer. And 40 seconds later, Porter stepped into the offensive zone and snapped a shot to beat Mayer.
Frederick Roy gave the Amerks a 3-0 lead at 5:45.
Just under three minutes later, Louis Leblanc gave Hamilton its first goal while on a power play. Stefan Chaput’s shot was stopped by goaltender David Leggio but Leblanc picked up the rebound and put it into the net.
Zack Stortini scored his first goal of the season at 16:52 of the period by putting a rebound past Leggio.
Hamilton’s third goal came 24 seconds into the second frame on a tally by Joey Tenute.
Rochester regained the lead at 1:47 of the period when Schofield’s low slap shot slid along the ice between the legs of Mayer. Evan Rankin regained a two-goal lead seven minutes later when Adam Pardy played the puck in front of the net and it bounced off the boot of Rankin and into the net.
The Amerks completed the scoring with a power-play marker at 14:15 of the third frame on a goal by Brian Flynn.
The Bulldogs’ next game is against the Lake Erie Monsters in Cleveland on Saturday (Jan. 26).
1. RCH – Kevin Sundher (2) – (Kevin Porter, Mark Mancari) – 0:13
2. RCH – Kevin Porter (12) – (Brayden McNabb) – 0:53
3. RCH – Frederick Roy (3) – (Rick Schofield) – 5:45
4. HAM – Louis Leblanc (4) – (Stefan Chaput, Frederic St-Denis) – 8:15 (PP)
5. HAM – Zack Stortini (1) – (Philippe Lefebvre, Kyle Hagel) – 16:52
6. HAM – Joey Tenute (2) – 0:24
7. RCH – Rick Schofield (5) – (Phil Varone, Drew Schiestel) – 1:47
8. RCH – Evan Rankin (10) – (Adam Pardy, Alex Biega) – 8:42
9. RCH – Brian Flynn (14) – (Mark Mancari, Mark Pysyk) – 15:14 (PP)