Louis Leblanc’s two goals, including the winner, helped the Hamilton Bulldogs down the Toronto Marlies, 6-4, on Wednesday night in American Hockey League action at Ricoh Coliseum.
The Bulldogs opened the scoring at 5:49 of the first period on a goal by Nathan Beaulieu. Stefan Chaput won a faceoff back to Beaulieu whose shot from the left point sailed past goaltender Jussi Rynnas.
Hamilton doubled their lead on a five-on-three tally by Greg Pateryn at 16:17 of the period. It was his first professional goal. Beaulieu feathered a pass from the right point to Pateryn at the left point and he rifled a shot past Rynnas.
Two minutes later, the Marlies got on the board as Greg Scott found Jamie Devane who was streaking out of the penalty box and went in all alone on Cedrick Desjardins and wristed the puck over the netminder’s shoulder. The goal was Devane’s first as a professional.
Hamilton restored the two goal margin at 1:57 of the second stanza on Leblanc’s fifth goal of the season. He picked up the puck from Jarred Tinordi and danced into the slot before backhanding a shot off the crossbar. Tyler Murovich then made it 4-1 at 5:09 of the period as Chaput chipped a pass from the bottom of the right circle over to Murovich at the top of the crease.
The Marlies started a three-goal rally when Jesse Blacker walked in from the right point and beat Desjardins with just 62 seconds gone in the third period. Ryan Hamilton then buried one past Desjardins at 7:06 of the period to make it 4-3.
The Marlies tied the score at 13:51 after Jerry D’Amigo flew into the offensive zone and sniped one over the shoulder of Desjardins.
The Bulldogs grabbed a 5-4 lead just 50 seconds later on Leblanc’s second tally of the game. Gabriel Dumont hustled into the corner to retrieve the puck and sent it out front to Leblanc who slid it by Rynnas. Dumont added an empty netter at 19:13 for his team-leading 15th goal of the season to clinch the victory for the ‘Dogs.
The Bulldogs’ next game is against the Chicago Wolves at Copps Coliseum on Friday, Feb. 8 at 7:30 p.m.
1. HAM – Nathan Beaulieu (3) – (Stefan Chaput) – 5:49
2. HAM – Greg Pateryn (1) – (Nathan Beaulieu, Mike Blunden) – 16:17 (PP)
3. TOR – Jamie Devane (1) – (Greg Scott, Jerry D’Amigo) – 18:18
4. HAM – Louis Leblanc (5) – (Jarred Tinordi, Michael Bournival) – 1:57
5. HAM – Tyler Murovich (2) – (Stefan Chaput, Patrick Holland) – 5:09
6. TOR – Jesse Blacker (1) – (Greg Scott, Mike Mottau) – 1:02
7. TOR – Ryan Hamilton (19) – (Dylan Yeo, Mike Zigomanis) – 7:06
8. TOR – Jerry D’Amigo (7) – (Ryan Hamilton, Mike Mottau) – 13:51
9. HAM – Louis Leblanc (6) – (Gabriel Dumont) – 14:41
10. HAM – Gabriel Dumont (15) – 19:13 (EN)