Two goals, including the game winner, from Nathan Beaulieu carried the Hamilton Bulldogs to a 4-3 American Hockey League win over the visiting St. John’s IceCaps on Tuesday (Feb. 26) at Copps Coliseum.
Joey Tenute and Patrick Holland both added two assists in a winning cause.
The Bulldogs struck first, scoring at 13:06 of the opening frame on a power-play tally by Stefan Chaput. After taking a pass from Mike Blunden, Chaput walked out of the right corner and roofed the puck over the left shoulder of goaltender Mark Dekanich.
Hamilton was outshot, 42-29.
The IceCaps tied the score before the second period was three minutes old when Jason Gregoire beat goaltender Robert Mayer.
The ’Dogs regained the lead seven minutes later Joe Stejskal’s first AHL goal in his 77th career game. Tenute slid a pass from the right boards to the point where Stejskal wired a shot low past Dekanich. Hamilton grabbed a two-goal lead with just under four minutes left in the period when Beaulieu’s slap shot from the top of the left circle eluded Dekanich.
St. John’s cut the lead back to one just 56 seconds later as Carl Klingberg rifled a shot from the point. The blast was blocked in front but Aaron Gagnon chopped in the rebound.
The Bulldogs restored their two-goal lead at 6:14 of the third stanza on Beaulieu’s second goal of the contest.
The IceCaps scored their third goal of the evening off the stick of Raymond Sawada who one-timed a shot from right point past Mayer at 7:35 of the third period on the power play.
1. HAM – Stefan Chaput (5) (Mike Blunden, Louis Leblanc) – 13:06 (PP)
2. STJ – Jason Gregoire (9) – (Raymond Sawada, Ben Maxwell) – 2:58
3. HAM – Joe Stejskal (1) – (Joey Tenute, Michael Bournival) – 10:13
4. HAM – Nathan Beaulieu (5) – (Patrick Holland, Greg Pateryn) – 16:07
5. STJ – Aaron Gagnon (2) – (Carl Klingberg, Derek Meech) – 17:03
6. HAM – Nathan Beaulieu (6) – (Joey Tenute, Patrick Holland) – 6:14
7. HAM – Raymond Sawada (10) – (Jason Jaffray, Derek Meech) – 7:35 (PP)
St. John’s: 13-16-13—42
St. John’s: 1-for-5