Three third period goals carried the Grand Rapids Griffins to a 4-1 American Hockey League victory over the Hamilton Bulldogs on Sunday (March 10) at Copps Coliseum. Gustav Nyquist scored a goal and added two assists and Riley Sheahan notched the game-winner for the visitors.
The Griffins opened the scoring at 2:38 of the first frame on a power-play goal by Chad Billins.
Hamilton tied the score at 1:13 of the third stanza on a power-play tally by Mike Blunden. With an assist on the play, Joey Tenute extended his point streak to a Bulldogs season-high seven games.
Grand Rapids pulled ahead four minutes later when Brett Skinner slid the puck to Nyquist at the right point. He rifled a shot which was tipped in front by Sheahan. Nyquist gave the Griffins a two-goal cushion at 16:43 and just 17 seconds later, Jeff Hoggan slapped a shot behind netminder Robert Mayer.
The Griffins outshot the Bulldogs, 48-22.
The Bulldogs’ next game is against the IceCaps in St. John’s on Friday (March 15) at 6 p.m.
1. GR – Chad Billins (7) – (Riley Sheahan, Gustav Nyquist) – 2:38 (PP)
2. HAM – Mike Blunden (10) – (Nathan Beaulieu, Joey Tenute) – 1:13 (PP)
3. GR – Riley Sheahan (16) – (Gustav Nyquist, Brett Skinner) – 5:17 (PP)
4. GR – Gustav Nyquist (23) – (Brett Skinner, Luke Glendening) – 16:43 (PP)
5. GR – Jeff Hoggan (13) – (Mitch Callahan, Brennan Evans) – 17:00
Grand Rapids: 16-13-19—48
Grand Rapids: Tom McCollum (W – 22 shots, 21 saves)
Hamilton: Robert Mayer (L – 48 shots, 44 saves)
Grand Rapids: 3-for-8