It was Friday but it wasn’t Good for the Hamilton Bulldogs.
Hoping for a repeat of their American Hockey League win (5-3) over Abbotsford on Wednesday night, the Bulldogs came up short, 4-3, in losing to the Heat at Copps Coliseum. Ben Walter scored a goal and added two assists and Ben Street notched the game-winner for Abbotsford before a pre-Easter gathering of 4,419.
The visitors needed just 64 seconds to set the tone. Drew MacKenzie’s point shot was stopped by netminder Robert Mayer but the rebound came to Walter who promptly put the puck into the goal.
Abbotsford’s Max Reinhart scored a second goal five minutes later while on a power play. Hamilton, however, cut the margin in half when Morgan Ellis fired the puck over the glove of goaltender Danny Taylor at 14:25 of the first stanza on the power play.
But before the period was over, Abbotsford applied some more heat, again with a man advantage. Sven Baertschi walked in from the bottom of the right circle and banked the puck off of Mayer while attempting a pass through the crease.
Gabriel Dumont, freshly arrived from the parent Montreal Canadiens of the National Hockey League, scored his 16th goal of the season to bring the Bulldogs to within one just past the midway mark of the middle period.
Ben Street notched the Heat’s third power-play counter of the evening at 13:08 of the second period to restore the two-goal advantage.
The ‘Dogs made it 4-3 at 11:40 of the third as Joey Tenute’s shot from the left point was tipped by Alex Belzile and deflected off an Abbotsford defender through the legs of Taylor.
The Bulldogs’ next game is against the Rochester Americans at Copps Coliseum on Saturday (March 30) at 7:30 p.m.
1. ABB – Ben Walter (14) – (Drew MacKenzie, Steven Seigo) – 1:04
2. ABB – Max Reinhart (7) – (Ben Walter, Blair Jones) – 6:29 (PP)
3. HAM – Morgan Ellis (4) – (Frederic St-Denis, Louis Leblanc) – 14:25 (PP)
4. ABB – Sven Baertschi (9) – (Roman Horak, Ben Walter) – 18:38 (PP)
5. HAM – Gabriel Dumont (16) – 11:22
6. ABB – Ben Street (14) – (Sven Baertschi, Drew MacKenzie) – 13:08 (PP)
7. HAM – Alex Belzile (2) – (Joey Tenute, Patrick Holland) – 11:40