The Hamilton Bulldogs (2-1-0-2) scored twice in the final 2:28 of regulation and again just over a minute into overtime as the club captured its second win of the season in a come-from-behind 5-4 thriller over the Rockford IceHogs (4-2-0-1) Tuesday night (Oct. 22) at Copps Coliseum.
Rockford forward Garret Ross opened the scoring just 31 seconds into the first period with a rip from the slot that beat Hamilton goaltender Dustin Tokarsk.
Bulldogs forward Nick Tarnasky tied the game at 15:37 of the first period with a slap shot that fooled IceHogs goaltender Kent Simpson. Assists went to Louis Leblanc and Nathan McIver.
The IceHogs took their second lead of the game 14:29 into the second period with a goal from forward Terry Broadhurst.
Rockford carried that lead into the third period before Hamilton forward Sven Andrighetto tied things up with a short-handed slapper that blew past Simpson. But just 1:33 later, Mark McNeill put Rockford ahead for the third time in the game on the power play. With less than four minutes to go, McNeill struck again
With the Bulldogs seemingly down and out, Andrighetto notched his second of the game with 2:28 to play and with just 19 seconds remaining and Hamilton goaltender Dustin Tokarski pulled, forward Akim Aliu tied the game and forced overtime.
Just 1:03 into overtime, Louis Leblanc pounced on a rebound in front of the Rockford crease to seal the win for the Bulldogs.
Tokarski made 24 saves on 28 shots for Hamilton in the victory. Simpson made 31 saves on 36 shots for Rockford in the loss.
Hamilton’s next game is Friday, Oct. 25, when they will host the Rochester Americans (AHL Affiliate of the Buffalo Sabres) at Copps Coliseum at 7:30 p.m
1. RFD – Garret Ross – 1 – (Mark McNeill, Phillip Danault) – 0:31
2. HAM – Nick Tarnasky – 3 – (Louis Leblanc, Nathan McIver) – 15:37
3. RFD – Terry Broadhurst – 2 – (Jimmy Hayes, Pat Mullane) – 14:29
4. HAM – Sven Andrighetto – 2 – (Unassisted) – 6:13 (SH)
5. RFD – Mark McNeill – 3 – (Terry Broadhurst, Alex Broadhurst) – 7:46 (PP)
6. RFD – Mark McNeill – 4 – (Phillip Danault, Adam Clendening) – 16:05
7. HAM – Sven Andrighetto – 3 – (Erik Nystrom, Ben Duffy) – 17:32
8. HAM – Akim Aliu – 2 – (Louis Leblanc, Gabriel Dumont) – 19:41
9. HAM – Louis Leblanc – 1 – (Gabriel Dumont, Magnus Nygren) – 1:03