Louis Leblanc is officially Mr. Clutch.
The Bulldogs forward scored the overtime winner for the second consecutive game as Hamilton topped the Rochester Americans at Copps Coliseum on Friday (Oct. 25) evening. The win improved Hamilton’s American Hockey League record to 3-1-0-2 while the Amerks left the Steeltown with a 3-3—0-0 mark.
Leblanc, who had two goals on the night, his first counters this season, scored the game-winner before the extra period was two minutes old.
Bulldogs forward Nick Tarnasky opened the scoring on the power play with his fourth goal of the season at 11:22 of the first period.
Hamilton took a 2-0 lead just 2:10 into the second period, when Leblanc’s wrist shot beat Rochester goaltender Nathan Lieuwen on the power play. Magnus Nygren.
Americans’ forward Luke Adam cut the lead to 2-1 on the power play at 7:14, Just over a minute later, Magnus Nygren extended the lead to two again with Hamilton’s third power play goal of the night. Rochester forward Frederick Roy notched his first goal of the season at 10:52 and with just five seconds left on the clock in the middle frame, Brayden McNabb tied the game for the Amerks.
After a scoreless third period, Leblanc flipped a back hander into the far side corner of the Rochester net at 1:26 of overtime to win it for Hamilton.
Robert Mayer made 27 saves on 30 shots in the victory. Lieuwen stopped 28 of 32 shots in the loss.
The Bulldogs went 3-for-7 on the power play, while the Americans were 1-for-4.
Hamilton’s next game is Saturday (Oct. 26) when the Bulldogs travel to Utica, New York to face the Comets (AHL Affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks) at 7 p.m. Hamilton returns to Copps the next day for a 7.30 date with the Toronto Marlies (AHL Affiliate of the Toronto Maple Leafs).
1. HAM – Nick Tarnasky (4) – (Erik Nystrom, Joel Chouinard) – 11:22 (PP)
2. HAM – Louis Leblanc (2) – (Ben Duffy, Magnus Nygren) – 2:10 (PP)
3. RCH – Luke Adam (6) – (Alexander Sulzer, Brayden McNabb) – 7:14 (PP)
4. HAM – Magnus Nygren (1) – (Sven Andrighetto, Martin St. Pierre) – 8:17 (PP)
5. RCH – Frederick Roy (1) – (Colton Gillies, Colin Jacobs) – 10:52
6. RCH – Brayden McNabb (1) – (Phil Varone, Chad Ruhwedel) – 19:55
7. HAM – Louis Leblanc (3) – (Drew Schiestel, Gabriel Dumont) – 1:26