ROCHESTER, N.Y. – The Hamilton Bulldogs were unable to overcome a three-goal deficit and fell 5-3 to the Rochester Americans in an American Hockey League game on Wednesday (Nov. 6).
Goals by Mike Zigomanis and Matt Ellis in the first period and rookie defenceman Chad Ruhwedel – his first of two – in the second period gave Rochester all the breathing room the Americans needed.
After Bulldogs Sven Andrighetto cut into the Amerks lead just past the midway mark of the second period, Ruhwedel counted his second goal of the night and second of the season to restore Rochester’s three-goal spread.
Hamilton got two goals from Joonas Nattinen and Louis Leblanc in the final 20 minutes to close within one but Frederick Roy’s empty-netter with 42 seconds left in the game assured Amerks their win.
The defeat left Hamilton with a 5-3-0-3 mark while the Amerks improved to 5-2-1-1.
Dustin Tokarski made 22 saves on 26 shots for the Bulldogs while Matt Hackett made 24 saves on 27 shots for the Americans.
The Bulldogs went 0-for-4 on the power play, while the Americans went 2-for-6.
Hamilton’s next game is scheduled for Friday (Nov. 8, when they will host the Grand Rapids Griffins at 7:30 p.m. at Copps Coliseum.
Earlier in the day, the parent Montreal Canadiens of the National Hockey League, returned Leblanc and Martin St. Pierre to the Bulldogs.
The 22-year-old Leblanc has appeared in five games with the Canadiens this season, recording no points and two penalty minutes. In seven games with Hamilton this season, he has recorded six points (four goals, two assists) and six penalty minutes.
St. Pierre, 30, has appeared in one game with Montreal this season, recording no points and no penalty minutes. In seven games with Hamilton this season, he has recorded eight points (three goals, five assists) and 12 penalty minutes.
Hamilton’s next home game is on Friday (Nov. 8), when the Grand Rapids Griffins (AHL affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings) visit Copps Coliseum at 7:30 p.m.
1. RCH – Mike Zigomanis (4) – (Alexander Sulzer, Luke Adam) – 3:30
2. RCH – Matt Ellis (2) – (Mike Zigomanis, Kevin Sundher) – 17:36 (PP)
3. RCH – Chad Ruhwedel (1) – (Brayden McNabb, Phil Varone) – 8:49 (PP)
4. HAM – Sven Andrighetto (4) – (Louis Leblanc, Drew Schiestel) – 11:13
5. RCH – Chad Ruhwedel (2) – (Unassisted) – 12:06
6. HAM – Joonas Nattinen (1) – (Nathan Beaulieu, Justin Courtnall) – 2:23
7. HAM – Louis Leblanc (5) – (Maxime Macenauer) – 16:10
8. RCH – Frederick Roy ( 2) – (Unassisted) – 19:18 (EN)