With round-robin over, McCoys get down to business

 Ryan Christie celebrates as Rob DeCiantis’ shot beats Whitby goaltender Anthony Marshall last Friday.  Whitby defeated Dundas 7-5. (Photo: Karen Robillard)

Ryan Christie celebrates as Rob DeCiantis’ shot beats Whitby goaltender Anthony Marshall last Friday. Whitby defeated Dundas 7-5. (Photo: Karen Robillard)

Dundas Real McCoys finished their double round-robin Major League Hockey playoff season with a 10-3 win over the eliminated Norwood Vipers on Sunday.

“I think our guys are glad to get this round-robin over with. Now we can get down to business,” said Coach Ken Mann. Entering the game, the Real McCoys knew they would be playing a championship series against the Whitby Dunlops.

Dundas will face the Dunlops in game two of their best-of-seven series tomorrow (Friday) night at 7:45 p.m. in the JL Grightmire Arena.

The winner will be crowned the John Ross Robertson Cup champion and move on to play the winner of the Northern final in Thunder Bay between Kenora and Thunder Bay. The winner of that series will move on to the Allan Cup Tournament at Fort St. John, British Columbia in April.

“We’re good enough to beat (Whitby), if we’re willing to go that extra mile,” said Mann.

The Real McCoys have struggled against Whitby this season including a 7-5 loss last Friday night in the Grightmire Arena. Dundas is 1-3 against the Dunnies in the playoffs. “If our guys are willing to sacrifice and play hard, we’ll be fine,” added Mann.

Rob DeCiantis started Dundas off on the right track last Friday, opening the scoring with a powerplay goal. Team captain Mike Kennedy scored next for the McCoys, and after the two teams traded goals in the last four minutes of the period, Dundas had a 3-1 lead.

Shawn Shewchuk got one of the goals for Dundas.

The game continued in Dundas’ favour entering the second as Justin Davis scored the first goal of the middle frame. Dundas then went on the powerplay, but the momentum began to change.

Whitby’s Shane Terry intercepted a pass at the blue line and skated in alone on Real McCoy goaltender, Dan Turple. Terry showed some fancy stickhandling and scored on an unassisted breakaway, which started his club on the comeback trail.

JR Holmes, Colin Baker, and Jon Ross scored consecutively giving Whitby its first lead entering the third period. David Silverstone assisted on all three goals.

Frank Grandits tied the game at five as he scored first in the third period. From that point on Whitby’s goalie, Anthony Marshall would not allow another Dundas goal to preserve the win for which he made 21 saves.

Andrew Gibbons scored what proved to be the game-winning goal, with assists going to Holmes and Ross. Adam Van Dam sealed the victory with 11 seconds left in the game.

Sunday against Norwood, Ryan Christie scored the first goal of the game on a powerplay. Christie continued to show his offensive talents by scoring another shorthanded with one second left in the opening period for a 2-1 Dundas lead.

Norwood’s Adrian Wilson managed to tie the game on the powerplay as he opened the scoring in the second. Then Dundas opened the floodgates, scoring four unanswered goals including the first of three by Kennedy. Shewchuk contributed another, and David McNab scored back-to-back goals to end the period. Dundas led 6-2 at that point.

Four more goals came off the sticks of the Real McCoys in the third period of a game in which Dundas outshot their opponent 40-24. Dundas’ David Russell scored 37 seconds into the final frame, and newly acquired Scott Charbonneau followed.

Jordan Freeland got on the board for Norwood, but it was too little too late in a game dominated by Dundas. Kennedy scored the final two goals of the game, giving him the hat trick.