INNISFIL, Ontario – Although the winner of the race was the same as last year, getting to Victory Lane was nothing like last year for Alex Tagliani Saturday afternoon (June 18) at Sunset Speedway.
Tagliani pulled away late to win the Leland Industries 300 presented by Dickies for the second year in a row in the NASCAR Pinty’s Series.
Unlike his win at Sunset last season when he lapped the entire field en route to his first win since 2008, he had to hold off Grimsby, ON native Cayden Lapcevich on a restart with 33 laps remaining in the race to score his third career series win.
Tagliani never had a chance to equal that mark of last season in this race – especially with a pair of caution flags thrown in the final 33 laps to tighten the field.
Tagliani qualified 10th and took the lead for the first time in the race passing Josh Collins after a restart on Lap 58.
The Lachenaie, Que., native led twice in the event and took the lead for the final time on Lap 267 and was able to hold on for the win. Lapcevich followed with his career-best finish and Larry Jackson of Oakville, ON also scored his first career podium finish in third.
Jostens Rookie of the Year contenders Adam Martin and Kevin Lacroix completed the top five.
Rounding out the top-10 were D.J. Kennington, Collins, Andrew Ranger, Matthew Scannell and Trevor Seibert.
The race was slowed eight times by caution for 68 laps.
Lapcevich used his runner-up finish to move into second place in the point standings with Andrew Ranger as they’re tied with 83 points with Ranger holding the tiebreaker with his season-opening win in May.
The Leland Industries 300 presented by Dickies will be televised on TSN2 at noon on June 25, and RDS2 – July 9 at 10:30 p.m.
The NASCAR Pinty’s Series will return to oval racing for the second week in a row with the rescheduled Chaudiere 300 at Quebec’s Autodrome Chaudiere Friday, June 24.
NASCAR Pinty’s Series-Leland Industries presented by Dickies Results
At Sunset Speedway
Lap length: 0.333 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (10) Alex Tagliani, Lachenaie, Que., Chevrolet, 300 laps, 58.374 mph.
2. (1) Cayden Lapcevich, Grimsby, Ont., Dodge, 300.
3. (13) Larry Jackson, Oakville, Ont., Ford, 300.
4. (6) Adam Martin, Ayr, Ont., Ford, 300.
5. (11) Kevin Lacroix, Saint-Eustache, Que., Dodge, 300.
6. (8) D.J. Kennington, St. Thomas, Ont., Dodge, 300.
7. (18) Josh Collins, Placentia, NL, Ford, 299.
8. (15) Andrew Ranger, Roxton Pond, Que., Dodge, 298.
9. (14) Matthew Scannell, Rockwood, Ont., Dodge, 297.
10. (16) Trevor Seibert, Williams Lake, B.C., Dodge, 296.
11. (17) Derek Lynch, Norwood, Ont., Dodge, 296.
12. (4) L.P. Dumoulin, Trois-Rivieres, Que., Dodge, 295.
13. (7) Gary Klutt, Halton Hills, Ont., Dodge, 295.
14. (9) Mark Dilley, Barrie, Ont., Chevrolet, 294.
15. (2) Alex Labbe, Victoriaville, Que., Ford, 293.
16. (3) Dwayne Baker, Barrie, Ont., Dodge, 269, starter.
17. (12) Jason Hathaway, St. Thomas, Ont., Chevrolet, 174.
18. (19) Jason White, Sun Peaks, B.C., Dodge, 66, accident.
19. (5) Anthony Simone, Aurora, Ont., Dodge, 45, suspension.
Time of Race: 1 hour 42 minutes 41 seconds
Margin of Victory: 1.720 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: C. Lapcevich (81.891 mph, 14.639 seconds)
Caution Flags: 8 for 68 laps.
Lead Changes: 7 among 4 drivers.
Lap Leaders: A. Labbe 1; C. Lapcevich 2-47; J. Collins 48-57; A. Tagliani 58-86; C. Lapcevich 87-167; A. Tagliani 168-266; C. Lapcevich 267; A. Tagliani 268-300.
Standings: 1. A. Ranger, 83; 2. C. Lapcevich, 83; 3. D. Kennington, 80; 4. L. Jackson, 72; 5. A. Labbe, 70; 6. G. Klutt, 65; 7. J. Hathaway, 64; 8. L. Dumoulin, 64; 9. K. Lacroix, 60; 10. M. Scannell, 54.