Series win earns Real McCoys trip to Thunder Bay

Dundas Real McCoys are this season’s Robertson Cup Champions.

The Major League Hockey Senior AAA club won its fifth title, edging Whitby Dunlops, 6-5, recently to win the fifth game of the championship series. Although the best-of-seven series was won in five games, it was a very close series.

“Every game, except the game (Whitby) won were all one-goal games,” said co-coach Ken Mann. Whitby won game four of the series, 3-0, for the Dunlops only win in the series.

“I think a big difference was the goaltending. Goalie (Chad) Ford seemed to give up a weak game-winning goal on every occasion.”

Dundas is now scheduled travel to Thunder Bay to compete for the Renwick Cup against the Kenora Thistles, winners of the Hockey Northern Ontario championship. The best-of-three series will be played this weekend (April 2, 3, and 4, if necessary).

The Renwick Cup winner advances to the Allan Cup Canadian Senior AAA Hockey Championships at Fort St. John, B.C. from April 19-24.

Ryan Christie started the scoring in the series winning game while on the powerplay. The recently named captain of the McCoys scored twice and assisted on a Rob DeCiantis first period goal. Dundas led 3-1 after the first period following a powerplay goal by Matt Schmidt put Whitby on the board late in the frame.

In the middle period, Dundas took a 5-1 lead on back-to-back goals by Jerry Galway. Then Whitby pulled starting goaltender Anthony Marshall and replaced him with Ford. The Dunlops were then able to cut the lead to two after matching Dundas’ two scoring plays in that frame.

Whitby cut the lead to one when Kyle Ventura scored the opening goal of the third period. Ryan Kuwabara gave the McCoys some breathing room, scoring his first goal, and third point, of the night, restoring a two-goal lead.

Whitby’s Garett Winder was able to score with just a few minutes left in the game to give the Dunlops a chance to stay alive in the series. However, Dan Turple made sure there would be no comeback, on a night when he stopped 34 of 39 shots by Whitby.

Marshall was the series saver in game four of the series for Whitby. He stopped all 30 of the Real McCoys shots to avoid the series sweep. The Dunnies were able to play a tight defensive game after scoring 26 seconds into the match, and then again at the 1:06 mark of the opening period.