Hamilton’s Don Thomson Jr. staged a drag race finish but lost out by .015 seconds in a photo finish to DJ Kennington who won the Wild Wing 300 presented by DriveWise Saturday night at Barrie Speedway.
Kennington led the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series event for much of the final 100 laps but a late-race caution allowed Thomson to mount a challenge. Thomson, who was looking for his second straight win at Barrie, took second with five to go and briefly took the lead on the final lap. Kennington and Thomson were side-by-side through the final two turns and all the way to the finish.
Peter Shepherd III finished third, followed by Scott Steckly, who led a race-high 179 laps, and points leader JR Fitzpatrick.
Ron Beauchamp Jr., who won his first pole position of the season earlier in the day, finished sixth. Anthony Simone, Grimsby’s Jeff Lapcevich, John Gaunt and Jason Hathaway rounded out the top 10. Kenny Forth of Lynden finished 18th after experiencing mechanical problems.
It is Kennington’s fourth win of the season – all on ovals – and eighth of his career. The victory also allowed Kennington to close to within 21 points of Fitzpatrick with two races remaining. Thomson is fourth in the points race.
The race was slowed due to eight cautions for a total of 79 laps and the lead changed hands three times among three drivers.
The Wild Wing 300 will be telecast on TSN on Saturday, Sept 18 at noon ET.
The NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1 is back in action next week as it makes its way to the Maritimes on Saturday, Sept. 18 for the Komatsu 300 presented by Wilson Equipment at Riverside International Speedway in Antigonish, N.S.
Lap length: 0.333 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (5) DJ Kennington, St. Thomas, Ont., Dodge, 300 laps, 59.860 mph, $9,550.
2. (10) Don Thomson, Jr., Hamilton, Ont., Chevrolet, 300, $8,550.
3. (8) Pete Shepherd, III, Brampton, Ont., Dodge, 300, $6,050.
4. (2) Scott Steckly, Milverton, Ont., Dodge, 300, $5,850.
5. (3) JR Fitzpatrick, Cambridge, Ont., Chevrolet, 300, $2,850.
6. (1) Ron Beauchamp, Jr., Windsor, Ont., Dodge, 300, $3,400.
7. (6) Anthony Simone, Holland Landing, Ont., Chevrolet, 300, $2,550.
8. (12) Jeff Lapcevich, Grimsby, Ont., Chevrolet, 300, $2,450.
9. (9) John Gaunt, Barrie, Ont., Dodge, 300, $2,350.
10. (13) Jason Hathaway, Appin, Ont., Dodge, 299, $2,750.
11. (15) Joey McColm, Ajax, Ont., Dodge, 299, $2,050.
12. (7) Mark Dilley, Barrie, Ont., Dodge, 298, $1,850.
13. (16) Jason White, Sun Peaks, B.C., Chevrolet, 297, $1,750.
14. (4) Kerry Micks, Mt. Albert, Ont., Ford, 296, $1,700.
15. (14) Dexter Stacey, Kahnawake, Que., Dodge, 291, $1,650.
16. (11) Shawn McGlynn, Kitchener, Ont., Dodge, 285, $1,550.
17. (17) Kent Nuhn, Williamsford, Ont., Dodge, 77, rear end, $1,500.
18. (18) Kenny Forth, Lynden, Ont., Dodge, 15, rear end, $1,450.