McCoys unable to overcome slow start

Norwood Vipers, backed by the solid goaltending of Zach Fryia and two-goal efforts by Adrian Wilson and Mark Prentice, defeated Dundas Real McCoys 6-3 in Allan Cup Hockey League action last Saturday (Nov. 5) in the JL Grightmire Arena.

Friday night (Nov. 11) the Orillia Tundra visit the Grightmire Arena at 7:45 p.m., and the following night the McCoys are in Whitby to play the league leading Dunlops at 6:30 p.m. in the Iroquois Arena.

Dundas and Norwood (near Peterborough) entered the game tied for third in the standings with four points apiece. When it was over, the Vipers had a record of three wins and three losses while Dundas slipped into fourth with a record of one win, three losses and two shootout losses. Norwood lost last Sunday 7-3 at home.

Also scoring for Norwood were Murray Free (powerplay) and Darren Doherty (shorthanded). Replying for Dundas were Brad Kenny, Cam Watson (his sixth of the season), and TJ Sakaluk.

“We were awful for the first 40 minutes, and fell too far behind to catch up. It’s not acceptable to come out that flat in our building. Our fans deserve better, and they’ll get it,” said general manager Don Robertson. “The disappointing part was the effort. We know we can’t win every game, but we need the effort that we got in the third period for 60 minutes.

“We have been as patient as we’re going to be. Now we’ll start making the necessary changes to take us to the level that we and our fans expect. We aren’t giving up on anybody, but the guys who make a contribution will be rewarded,” said Robertson. “Friday night there will be some additions to the lineup. We want a couple of wins on the weekend.”

Norwood opened the scoring when Free deflected Jordan Freeland’s shot from the point past goalie Jeff Maund for a powerplay goal at 2:49 of the opening period. A shorthanded goal by Doherty put the Vipers into a 2-0 lead at 12:39 after Shawn Thompson lost control of the puck at the centre ice line.

A third goal by Prentice and the second shorthanded goal of the game came from another defensive breakdown at 17:22. The McCoys were outshot handily, 17-4, in the first.

Dundas appeared to rally in the second, but play was ragged and disconnected at times. With 2:35 left in the second, Wilson stole the puck in the corner and whistled it past Maund. He added his second goal of the game less than two minutes later.

The McCoys came out like players possessed in the third, but it was too late. Kenny came off the bench to drill a powerplay slapshot past Fryia, 58 seconds into the period. Watson netted the McCoys second powerplay effort at 3:09.

Dundas narrowed the count to 5-3 with a powerplay goal by Sakaluk, but with Maund off for the extra attacker, the puck got past Thompson at the Norwood blueline and Prentice deposited it into the empty net.