Warriors lose ground to Meteors

After defeating the Fort Erie Meteors in their building, the Stoney Creek Warriors returned home to Valley Park looking to continue their success, but managed only a single point in a 5-4 shoot out loss.

Though the team picked up the point, the result left the sixth place Warriors one point ahead of the Meteors in the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League’s Golden Horseshoe Conference. The Warriors are now off for the holiday break until Jan. 7 when fifth-place Welland visits Valley Park Arena. Game time is 7:30 p.m. During the off stretch the Meteors will place two games.

Mike Casale got the game going in the right direction for Stoney Creek scoring a goal on a power play at 11:25 of the first period. Brock Novak picked up an assist on the play. But the jubilation was short lived when forward Jordan Bailey knotted the count with a goal 16 seconds later.

Just over five minutes after that counter, the Warriors were on the penalty kill after Marc Silvestri was slapped with a two-minute minor for high sticking. Fort Erie took full advantage of the extra skater as Jordan Bolibruck scored just two seconds after the power play began to give the Meteors a 2-1 lead.

The Warriors pulled even when defenceman Kyle Phibbs scored at 9:54 of the second period.
Forty-four seconds later Myles Falasca found the back of the net to begin a flurry of scoring that would see three goals in less than two minutes. After Falasca gave the Warriors a 3-2 lead at 11:38, Bolibruck tied the game for Fort Erie 41 seconds later and Lindsay’s second goal of the night came 37 seconds after to give Stoney Creek the lead once again.

Fort Erie’s Cameron Fairgrieve lit the goal lamp with less than five minutes to go in the second period to put the teams into a 4-0 tie to end the period.

Tensions flared early on in the third period. Warriors’ Marc Silvestri and Meteors’ Nigel Slade were penalized for roughing in the opening minutes. Minutes later, Joey Wright and Kyle Robinson dropped the gloves and duked it out on the ice and both players were given game misconducts for the scuffle.

Tempers aside, neither team was able to slip one in the net and with overtime failing to yield a winner the teams cleared the ice to begin a shootout.

Luck wouldn’t be on the Warriors’ side as both Casale and Tyler VanKleef’s shots were turned away. Fort Erie’s opening shooter Jesse Parker didn’t score either but both of Fort Erie’s remaining shooters hit the back of the net. Connor MacIvor and Mike Boles both scored to give Fort Erie the shootout win.